Colored surface in view

Hello all,

I have a script where I sort pile foundations on bottom and top elevation and give each elevation a color, bottom and top separate of course. So in plan view you can simply check whatever the elevations are correct.

Now i need one last step. I want to create a list of colors and elevation values behind it. So each color stands for a elevation, so I want it in a schedule or something. I tried to add an instance image parameter for the pile foundation family, but that parameter can only be a type parameter. That is not working, because I need it to be instance.

My idea now is to create several surfaces, as many as colors there are, and place the values behind it. Can this be done on a drafting view? How do I place those surfaces in a drafting view?

A drafting view seems like a good approach, but I’d think you’d need to create a fill region and fill region type for each color. I’ve drawn filled regions before with Dynamo but I’m not sure how straight forward it is to create a new type with a specified fill pattern.

Here’s what I use for drawing fill regions (originally designed for converting space boundaries):

import clr
clr.AddReference('ProtoGeometry')
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *
clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *
clr.AddReference('RevitServices')
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager
doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument
#The inputs to this node will be stored as a list in the IN variables.
dataEnteringNode = IN

spaceBoundaries = IN[0]
filledRegionName = IN[1]

for fr in FilteredElementCollector(doc).OfClass(FilledRegionType):
	if Element.Name.GetValue(fr) == filledRegionName:
		filledRegion = fr
		break
viewId = doc.ActiveView.Id

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)

regions = []
spaceBoundaries
curveLoopList = []
spaceCurves = CurveLoop()
for boundarySegment in spaceBoundaries:
	spaceCurves.Append(boundarySegment)
curveLoopList.Add(spaceCurves)

region = FilledRegion.Create(doc,filledRegion.Id,viewId,curveLoopList)
regions.append(region)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()
#Assign your output to the OUT variable.
OUT = regions

Creating a new fill region type works just like duplicating any other element type. The only new thing I ran into was the input value for Color. Revit was taking an integer based on RGB values. You just need a little formula for converting Dynamo colors to the correct integers:

Hope that gets you started!

Hi @Nick_Boyts, hi all,

I want to create new Filled Region Type in order to colored specific room of my project. I tried to duplicate Filled Region Type like I used to do with other elements (windows for example) but i must do something wrong because it not works :frowning: !!
I join a screenshot of my Dynamo in order that you can see what i have done.

Have you any idea that can help me ?

Thanks and have a good day.

@Vtygy, try using Springs.ElementType.Duplicate.

@Nick_Boyts, it seems to give the same result.

@Vtygy, this is one of the few times you don’t want your list size matching up. Try passing the single FilledRegionType into elementType instead of a list. Don’t know why that seems to cause problems, but it does.

Try updating to the latest version of springs and both approaches should work fine:

2 Likes

Thank you very much guys, it works well now !!