Changing Family Type of Imported Instance

Hi everyone. So my problem is changing the family type of Imported Instances from Dynamo. As everyone knows when you put the Import Instance By Geometry node connected to a relevant geometry, it will import that geometry to Revit. However it will not be labelled as an in-place mass but as an “Import Symbol” with a random string of characters. I also cannot change the material of this imported instance which is my end goal. Is there a way to fix this issue? Hopefully without using Python, but if it really is needed, please add it here as well.

Thank you!

There are nodes to create a generic model in Revit of geometry built in Dynamo. From there you can add material parameters, etc. Not sure if this is what you want but it is an option.

There is? I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Can you point me in the right direction?

It is in the Spring nodes package, called Springs.FamilyInstance.ByGeometry.

Here is another forum post that shows it: Spring Nodes - Springs.FamilyInstance.ByGeometry - Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for the assistance! I’ll look into this.

No problem. If you run into any problems, let us know and we can try to help.

So I’ve been trying this node out in a variety of test exercises, and it seems it needs a little work when using with a family translated multiple times. It needs to have the same amount of Family Names as the number of instances it will produce. Is there a possible solution to this? Thank you.

Hello.

That is exactly how it is intended. You are creating a new family (note it is not a new family instance but a new family) for each of the solids, which means you need a unique family name. This can be easily solved by using a count node after the solid to plug into a codeblock to give names.

Thank you for the replies! Looks like I have to find a solution to put them all under one family.