All Nodes on top of each other

@TimGreatrex how do I uninstall Generative Design? I’m having the same problem…

Hi Laura

Go to the Control Panel_Programs and Features, and it will be listed there to Uninstall. assuming you are on Windows…

Bit annoying eh.
Tim

@Laura_BIMChick @TimGreatrex If the issue in Dynamo is coming from Generative Design, it’s likely that the conflict is with our Dynamo extension, not the add-in for Revit. Before completely uninstalling GD, I’d recommend removing the path in ProgramData that Dynamo is loading our extension from. That would be the second path in the screenshot attached:

Once you remove that path and restart Revit, can you let me know if the issue is resolved?

@Laura_BIMChick @TimGreatrex

Actually, removing that path won’t work - @Michael_Kirschner2 just reminded me that Dynamo will add it back to the list automatically on restart. Instead of trying to remove it, I’d recommend just moving the the three “Generative Design” folders in that ProgramData folder somewhere else temporarily, and then restarting.

Hi @TimGreatrex & @Laura_BIMChick. Sorry this issue is affecting you. We have really struggled to reproduce this failure case so would really appreciate if you could tell us a bit about your Revit and Dynamo details. Would you be able to tell us the packages / versions you have installed for your DynamoForRevit session and any Revit Addins you may have running? Another thing that would be helpful is know which of the three Generative Design packages in the ProgramData folder cause the corruption issue (ie delete one at a time).

1 Like

Hi Craig

Sorry I have been unable to reply to the prevous request, I just need Dynamo working for a deadline for the next week or so.
I did a full test on this before with Jacob and concluded it was defintely Generative Design causing the problems. I use Enscape and Xrev as additional addins, which I have running fine with Dynamo at the moment. I do not have Generative Design installed and Dynamo is working fine. When I do install it, I have tested this a few times now, it will corrupt the nodes and put them ontop of each other.
I will try and have another test in a few weeks, sorry it cannot be sooner.

Best
Tim

Hi Nate, @craig.long and @jacob.small

I have just experiences the problem again, but this time it is after installing the Genius Loci package. After loading the package I got a notification about failure to load library, see screenbab below:

I still do not have GD installed, but maybe your point about about the paths is the issue rather than GD. I will try and find time to test this later in the week.

Here is a screenshot of the nodes stacked after installing Genius Loci.
For now I will just remove Genius Loci package.

Many thanks
Tim

The message of your image can be ignored and concerns a single zero touch node. (MergePDF)
It should not interfere with the Generative Design.
You can remove this dll from the bin folder package without interfering with the other nodes of the package.

1 Like

Hi Alban

Thank you very much for this. I have deleted the package and it is working fine again. Thought I would report this to Autodesk as it has been an ongoing issue with the corruption of the dynamo file with the nodes ontop of each other from the beginning of this post, and it would be useful if it did not happen when certain packages are installed like Genius Loci. I have not tried Generative Design again as I dont actually need it.

Many thanks again
Tim

We are just now starting to use Revit 2021 on projects and I’ve begun testing my graphs in Dynamo 2.5. I am having the same issue with nodes being stacked on top of each other, but only with graphs utilizing the Data-Shapes package. If I remove that package, the nodes are no longer stacked.

Upgrade to the latest Revit, Make sure Datashapes is up to date, update the Revit add-ins, and the you don’t have a Revit add-in causing a conflict with datashapes dependencies.

When this problem initially happened and I found this thread, I tried removing the Generative Design addin as mentioned here, but that didn’t make a difference. I then removed Data-Shapes package and it resolved the node stacking issue, but made my graphs unusable. Then, I reinstalled the Data-Shapes package and everything worked as expected. I then added back in the Generative Design addin and my graphs are still working as expected. I can’t explain why it is working now, but it is.

Did you reinstall the same version of Datashapes, or was it the latest via package manager?

Yes, when I “uninstalled it” I simply moved the Data-Shapes package out of the Package folder and then put it back in.

1 Like

Hello Gentlemen,

Was there a solution found to this issue? I’m having the exact same problem with my nodes collapsing on top of each other and then running null even if I do un-jumble them. My coworker’s computer opened the same script I was using without issue (he does not have the same packages I have).

I uninstalled all packages for Dynamo, and sure enough, Generative Design did not uninstall, no matter now many restarts I did. I uninstalled the package through the control panel, and now Dynamo works again.

If there is a solution found to this, please let me know. For now I will use Dynamo without GD.

@ariderAEE99 Do you have any other Revit add-ins installed on the machine where you were seeing this issue?

@nate.peters

The only add-in we use as a company is Bluebeam (and Lumion LiveSync; I’m not sure that counts).

I suspect this is not the cause, as my coworker’s computer reads the script without issue, and he has the same add-ins as I do.

Thank you,
Amanda

Combination of add-ins and packages can do it. Also your Dynamo version might be different than your coworkers. Make sure everyone has all Revit/Dynamo updates installed, then check the items in your Dynamo’s notifications window (the green ! icon in your menu bar) and/or in your Dynamo log file.

Hi @ariderAEE99 - if you can reproduce this please send me (or post here) the output from this listDlls tool - it should be pointed to Revit.exe after the issue has occurred.

it will generate a list of all binaries that are currently loaded into Revit - it may give some direction.

something like

listdlls -v Revit from the command line