2.13 groups missing and nodes stacked in one location

working on getting Revit 2023 up and running. Copied my 2022 project startup script to make a few adjustments for R23 and when I open it every node is stacked in one location and all the groups are missing. I starting pulling them out and trying to organize but what I have below is just fraction of the nodes. Is there a way to open this without the file being totally F’ed?

Edit: Upon further inspection it seems like the file is even more messed up. Every code block is blank and I can’t edit those nodes at all.

2.13 R23

2.12 R22

Usually this is a symptom of an add-in conflict. Disable all Revit add-ins, restart Revit, and test to see if the issue persists…

2 Likes

Still happening. Add-ins disabled. Could this be caused by a package?

another one I have found helps to disable is the Workspace Dependency View Extension.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2023\AddIns\DynamoForRevit\viewExtensions\WorkspaceDependency_ViewExtensionDefinition.xml

Just rename that file to .disabled as the extension or move it to your desktop and try again

3 Likes

Thanks, hopefully I can get the add-ins back in without it breaking. Looks like I need to add that python package. How do you even find these fixes?

2 Likes

Mostly losing a ton of sleep, and pulling my hair out. :sweat_smile: kidding

I actually spend a lot of time in the source code poking around and that extension does a pretty outdated method of loading a file from JSON and if it hiccups a bit too much it spits out the in-progress graph which has no node locations.

One thing I find interesting is, I have been told numerous times by the DYnamo team that “the workspace references plugin can’t be the problem”. So, I am pretty pumped that you just confirmed what I have been telling folks for a little while now.

For IronPython2.7: Yes, you will need to install a package now because they swapped the engine to CPython3 on us for Revit 2023. With that change, they broke packages like Clockwork, Data-shapes, springnodes, and more. So simply install the package and you will be good to go.

Short Video about IronPython 2.7: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/mTXXoGs7u7g

3 Likes

Can you post the Revit journal and Dynamo log from this session with the add-ins disabled? Will help to ID the cause.

Welp, now when I try to open it again I get an unknown error.

I tried reenabling the workspaceDependancy but still got this error. We should really be able to select the text in these error messages BTW.

Oh wow. That one is definitely a weird issue. It mentions GenerativeDesign a few times too.

Oof… sorry you’ve ran into these issues @crapai :frowning: We have a task logged from a github issue that is already on our radar, but this helps provide more ammunition on it.

We will investigate both issues expressed above on our end. The Workspace References extension may be an issue @john_pierson but could also be a red herring. We’ll dive deeper!

Do these errors surface in the Dynamo log file? If so posting that (with the Revit journal) here or on the GitHub in an issue could provide the development team what’s needed to identify the source.

dynamoLog_a2dd0037-0735-4610-9d97-01faf424b74f.txt (62.5 KB)
journal.0012.txt (190.1 KB)

These are my log files from an attempt where I had the add-ins moved and had the WorkspaceDependancy… file activated.

1 Like

So is this a “we’re hoping to get something out soon” situation or should I be remaking my graphs that run into this?

I doubt there is anything wrong with the particular graphs - and it’s much more likely a dynamo problem - unfortunately kind of hard to reproduce for us so far.

I doubt that too, it’s just that it is important for our project startup, so if it needs to be recreated to get around this error than I should get started. I’m going to try just copying the graph before it breaks into a blank and see if that workaround works.

is it possible to dm me the graph?

Yeah, I will in a second.

I tried coping the graph nodes into a blank file, saving it, and opening and it is also producing the error.

So for now, if I need to start a project, I need to copy our 22 version, open it with “WorkspaceDependency_ViewExtensionDefinition.xml” disabled and run it.

Does the graph execute correctly if you run via Dynamo Player?

I ran it in the player, first time using the new player btw, nice.

It completed with warning, but honestly I can’t find anything that it missed. My versions of this graph from 21 and older had additive features that required me to change file paths to get the correct Revit version of families. Since 22 I’ve changed the script to be completely subtractive so the version isn’t as important. I might have to still have a 23 version because I doubt we will be needing a demolition workset now.

EDIT:
Just ran it again and it missed some things, so I think it depends on the input I’m selecting.

Finally got a chance to look at this again and try to figure out what went wrong.

As mentioned above I was able to open the graph while “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2023\AddIns\DynamoForRevit\viewExtensions\WorkspaceDependency_ViewExtensionDefinition.xml” is disabled. However, when I save and try to open the file I get an error “Unknown error opening file:” this causes the file to fail to open entirely.

I started open the file, deleting a part of the graph, saving as a new file and attempting to open it. I immediately saw results. I was able to narrow it down to one group, at which point I saw that one code block had an error. “invalid Associative_Factor”. The code block is simply a nested list that I was using to organize some thoughts while working on the graph. The code block is on the bottom left.

I opened the graph again, deleted that one code block, saved, and successfully opened the file. I then re-enabled the .xml file and was able to open the file without the node stacking. If I attempt to open the original un-edited file the nodes becomes stacked and I can see the error.

Not quite sure why a simple nested list cause this but at least I can start working on updating the script.

3 Likes