Add shared parameters and value to selected elements

Hi.

I have many model-in-place elements in my project and would like to add a shared parameter (in this case a structural material) to them. I can do this “manually” by adding a new shared parameter while editing the object. But I would like to automate the process.

I find the node Parameter.SharedParameterFile in Dynamo which I would like to combine with Parameter.Group, Parameter.Name, Value of the parameter (since the shared parameter I am after is “Structural Material” we can use Concrete as an example) and Select Model Elements. See figure below where I try to illustrate the input values I want for the final node.

To specify: I don’t want this to affect all elements of the category.
Does anyone have a good solution to my problem?

I think you are confusing shared parameters, instance parameter and type parameters.

Shared parameters are realy ea sy to add with Revit and you don’t need a script for this if I have it correct.

By project parameters you can easily add shared parameters wich will apply on the categories you will select.

If I have it wrong please let me know!

Hugo:
Adding a shared parameter to one single model-in-place element or category is not a problem. But I can’t chose multiple elements and assign a shared parameter to them, unless I want this parameter assigned to all elements of the category, which I don’t. So instead of selecting each model-in-place element individually (which would take a lot of time) and add the shared parameter I need (which is easy to do “manually”), I would like Dynamo to add the parameter and value to the elements I chose in Revit - if possible! :slight_smile:

Ah I understand it now you want to have a kind of shared parameter added to certain model in place elements without using a shared parameter because you won’t want this parameter be added to the elements

I have not so a solution for you.Maybe look into the Orchid package there are great nodes for adding all kind of parameters
https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/orchid-package-released-at-github/22671

I did something with automatically adding parameters to a family file but you want something for a model in place

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/adding-multiple-family-types-paramaters-to-multiple-family-files/24749/12

Hugo:
Hehe. Maybe I’m over-complicating. But I’ll try to explain one more time: I have added a few shared parameters to some elements (by category) in my project. I would also like to add these shared p. to some model-in-place elements. Why? Because when I export my model as IFC I can modify the setup and include user defined property sets. In the user defined property sets I have included certain shared parameters (but they don’t apply to my m-i-p elements unless I were to include them by category, or individually).

And thanks for the Orchid package tip!