CreateSharedParameter Node

I’ve read a few threads on here about the Parameter.CreateSharedParameter node. I can use it to create shared parameters, but my question is in regards to the inputs. To create a shared parameter in a shared parameter file, all you need is the Name, Discipline, Type of Parameter, and a Tooltip if you want. Why does the node require a group (Group Parameter Under), instance (instance vs type) and category?

I really don’t need all the details. I’m just wondering if I bulk input hundreds of shared parameters and don’t worry about the last three inputs (group, instance, categoryList), will it affect anything? I’ve done some tests and the last three inputs don’t seem to do anything to the shared parameters. Just wondering if I’m missing something.

Also, is there a way to input a tooltip to the shared parameter with Dynamo?

Hi @jboehning

the first picture (picture at the top) is how to make/register/input your shared parameter in your shared parameter file.

the second picture (picture at the bottom) is the method on how you apply the created shared parameter in the first picture in your project/family.

in short, the first picture is related to the shared parameter file, the second method is related to the shared parameters in your project/family.

create shared parameter in shared parameter file:
A

apply the created shared parameter in family/project:

-biboy

Edit: I think I missed something the first time. The CreateSharedParameter node is adding a shared parameter to the shared parameter file and creating a project parameter. So now I see where those other inputs are being used.

Ultimately I’m wondering about the shared parameter file. If I use a blank project and use Dynamo to create several shared parameters based on Excel inputs, I can just delete the project and the shared parameters file will contain all the parameters without the last three inputs that I referenced in the OP?

how can you create shared parameter file via dynamo in your blank project if the shared parameter does not exist in your shared parameter file. As far as I know, there is no node to create/input shared parameter to the shared parameter file.

I think you have to study how to create shared parameter first and how to apply it to your project and families. You confuse the dynamo create shared parameter node as creating shared parameter to your shared parameter file. It does not. It only adds shared parameter to your project/family.

-biboy

That’s what the CreateSharedParameter node does…right?

1 Like

Im sorry I am wrong. I thought you are talking about the create shared parameter of the orchid library.
You are correct. the bottom 3 are not needed.

I thought you were talking about this node. I sorry.

A

1 Like

No worries! I was overthinking it. That’s why I posted here. I thought I may be missing something and wanted other inputs.

1 Like