Adaptive Components Question

Hello Guys,

I have a question about the adaptive component family … Can we manage the number of adaptive points inside a family to be once 2-adaptive family and another while could be 5-adaptive family to avoid creation of many families to change the number of adaptive points ?

Excuse me if it’s a silly question but i Hope you could tell me the truth of this point.

Thank you all,

1 Like

I don’t think this is possible to achieve, not because Dynamo won’t let you, but because the geometry inside the Family needs to be constrained (locked) to the Reference Planes of the points.
I haven’t seen a node that can lock geometry to a Reference Plane yet.

it’s just a circle and repeated to create pipe.

No idea is here ??

You can’t modify an adaptive component that way. You must have multiple different adaptive components and deploy them in the different situations.

A thought:

• Build one adaptive component with N points, and associated geometries for 2 points, 3 points, 4 pnts, 5, 6… n points.

• Then set a visibility parameter for each of the geometries - one parameter for 2 pnts, 3 pnts… n pnts. Default all of these to be ‘off’ so that when placed you have no geometry visible.

• Now you could use Dynamo to place the families, padding out the point lists to ensure N points on each placement, and then set the visibility parameter based on how many points you created.

I would not recommend this in general, as the visibility parameter will become problematic to control. There is almost certainly a better solution out there if we knew the full extent of what you are after (egress path perhaps?) and the context of the effort. Test the performance closely, and know that graphics display takes into account the larger shape of the form (including invisible geometry) which can toss a wrench in your display.

If it works and you decide to use it, be sure to completely document this method in the BXP or elsewhere so other team members can edit, reuse, and plan their work accordingly.

1 Like