Why not allow external numbersliders as INPUT for generative design?

Hi there,

I think having a numberslider where the minimum and maximum are variables would be really nice. I’ve been using a node from the package ‘Celery’ called ‘InputBoundedNumberSlider’, but it cannot be selected as INPUT.

• Does Dynamo plan to make a variable numberslider happen?
  • Is there a known workaround in the meanwhile?

Kind regards,
Tenzin Lungtok

Can you provide an example of your exact use case of the bounded slider?

If I want to use the numberslider to select a number that I can use as an index number to get an item from a list. The amount of items in that list can vary, so I need the max index to vary too.

this is definitely not the best solution, but it gets close (I think).

Bounded sliders have came up pretty often. I would go add your feature request here too:

3 Likes

Hey that kinda works. You’re right, it’s not ideal but it’ll work i think.
The thing is that a bounded node already exists but cannot be selected as an input node. Allowing that to happen would solve the problem too. Then again, it’s not that easy probably.

Since you’re a moderator. Do you have a view or insight on my other post? I’m basically asking for variables again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Why not parametrize the domain of values dynamically?
parameterize the domain

4 Likes

Nice!
my one comment on this one is that double nodes don’t work for GD? Right?

Correct. That was intended to be a ‘moving’ variable based on other calculated input - say the maximum allowable span for a framing member selected by a variable index, and the minimum distance between the two points. I’ll try and find time to build a ‘real world’ example later but divorcing it from the specific use case is tough.

@tenzin.lungtok if you (or anyone else) have a ‘toy’ graph this could be applied to in place of the Celery node please share it here and I’ll put something together.