What do you use Dynamo for in Civil 3D or Revit?

At my company we start up a new organization for development, calculation and programming and Dynamo is one of applications related to this group.
I’m responible for Dynamo4Civil and I also have a colleague of mine responsible for Dynamo4Revit.

In Civil 3D I start using Dynamo for:

• create some solids, both for text and object
  • set out block
  • read/write information between propertyset and object and into excel
  • change corridor properties, such as surfaces
  • create CoGo point and surface labels to create elevation plans along corridor featurelines and surfaces
  • modify properties in civil 3d objects, such as rotation, styles and location for surface labels and CoGo Points.
  • Add labels in profile view for objects along alignment or Pipe Network.

Now I Wonder, what do you use Dynamo for?

Both Civil 3D and Revit is out of interest, you don’t need to share graphs just give me a hint what is possible to do. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For fun and as a stimulant to learn more

7 Likes

Hello Patrick, how do you add labels in profile views. i been looking into it and havent had success yet. any Scripts you could share would be super helpful. thank you :smile:

Sounds like this would be a good Dynamo Office Hour!

6 Likes

The Arkance Systems Node Library contains two nodes to place Depth or Station-Elevation Labels in Profile Views.

To be ontopic, I use Dynamo for Civil 3D for various things. Most of the time for small things like adding an object on each layer (to avoid a purge action), create reports, import Excel files, and common repetitive tasks.

For some clients I wrote graphs, or worked on workflows that they turned into a graph. Turn 3D polylines that represent a profile into offsets along an Alignment, so that a Surface can be made. Create sound barrier walls along an Alignment. Split Survey Points in sections. Things like that.

3 Likes

Thanks @Anton_Huizinga
Great input.

Amigo @patrick.ericson buenas. the one that consider my best script is to fill Schema Unifilar made whit dynamique blocks whit data that came from Excel tables, after finish this script i discover that with electrical we could make this to, but is not full compatible with dynamique blocks so i like more my version, i’m not work longer as Electrical Engineer but i made it as hobby!!

3 Likes

Good job.
Yes, I think learning and using Dynamo as a hobby is a good start and then implement it in our daily work if possible. When you write “Electrical” is it another application than C3D or Revit?

I agree, yes i mean Autocad Electrical Electrical Toolset In Autodesk AutoCAD | Features, is a variant but is very specialized, and i didn’t find to many information about learning how to use and formation, i think that education is the weak spot of autodesk, almost all what i know i learning by my self or in colaboration with collegues, but is only my point of view!!

I usually create graphs to bridge C3D UI capability gaps. Including but not limited to:

• Creating offset alignments with profiles on multiple alignments
  • Creating offset profiles posterior
  • Populating offset profiles with superelevation data
  • Insert corridor frequencies at vertical target PVIs and start/endpoints (I think this is a huge deficiency in C3D)
  • crating, naming layouts, viewports based on exel data, placing xref/block references on layouts
  • Creating named feature lines from alignments profiles for projection purposes
  • Creating and populating corridor solids with property data from excel

And may more, you get the idea.

Also, as a bigger project I created a script to design BIM compatible sound barrier walls in C3D using Civil object outputs and then excel inputs.

2 Likes

Great inputs from you as well @kovacsv
Thanks for sharing your thoughts

At work Revit - automating boring stuff + making everyone’s lives a little less dull :slight_smile:

Examples:

• Making sheets and putting drawings on the sheets (plans, elevations etc).
  • Preparing the model for issue
  • Aligning views, adding legends and schedules in the same place on each sheet.
  • Doing stuff you can’t do in Revit (altering multiple title block parameters at once - the ones you can’t do if you select them all)
  • Automatic numbering (doors/ windows/ CW) to company standards

Revit just cos…
Playing games… :joy:

3 Likes

The most timesaving thing i’ve built so far is an automated PDF/DWG creator in Revit.
The user can select sheets and print/export to DWG (or both at the same time) with a filename automatically generated with default parameters based on our company’s naming rules, or a specified set of parameters and separators to allow for client specific filenames.

Weekly a user creates about 30/50 PDF files from revit, and this saves about 40 minutes per user per week.

Of course the new export to PDF function has arrived, but the current state of the pdf exporter makes it unusable. (dimensions get stretched and flattened, text spacing is altered). Revit has stated these issues are ‘under review’ so we all know what that means.

I also use it for automated pile foundation numbering, duplicating sheets with views and detailing prior to R2022 and just small things i dont want to do manually hehe.

Just a great way to make work more fun for me.

2 Likes

Probably the biggest repeditive task this is used for is to set up a project from scratch for me.
i create a master spreasheet in excel, which details;

-Sheet name
-Number
-View Names
-All parameters in the sheet and titleblock
-Various other information deemed usefull for the project

This way i can use excel forumlas to fill in predetermined outcomes on things such as Sheet number based on variables or scope for a view based on building etc etc…

Then run the script and make my sheets, views, templates everything la la in one click and have them all placed on the sheets ready to do :slight_smile: and when someone messes with it…clicky clicky. :wink:

Otherwise, dynamo for me is a tool for very specific problems for users or myself such as;

“I need to check if all my pipes are parrallel to fire walls as they go through”
“all my insulation is wrong thickness or type, but here is a table of the right ones per pipe type…please fix”
“I have a note that needs to be on every drawing but it needs to have reference to a certain DB on that floor and the name of the apartments in that area”…

generally i look at it as another tool i can use to make buttons for things that can be done the long way but there enough logic to the decision making if you were to code it.

1 Like

Great job with the automated pdf Publish. Sad that the new function doesn’t work as wanted.

Interesting to set number on piles. Does you use Dynamo to create the piles as well?

So true.

Renaming family type,
Renaming parameter value
Adding parameters to families
Removeing parameters from families
Placing families
Renaming sheets/schedules
Propobly i forgot a lot.

2 Likes

Hi, repetitive things and candy breaks
duplication of views creation of filter based on duplicated views parameter assignment phasing
simulator for students in auto mode creating a gif in periodic mode automated placement of families (in this regard, I don’t think it is possible to have a different position of a family according to phasing on 2 separate views, for the moment I duplicate the families and make them disappear according to phase)
here is my return
Sincerely
christian.stan

1 Like

These days, mainly having users install my pyRevit toolbar hehe… (not joking)

But in all seriousness it’s still a fantastic prototyping environment for me. Having visual feedback of geometry based scripts/tools is particularly useful versus coding blindly in Python/pyRevit. I still use it as a testing/development space (even if just writing in a big Python block), or to smash out a quick one-off task for a team.

It’s also where I begin curious users looking to learn about Revit programming. pyRevit and similar platforms are far too harsh of an entry point so it’s highly valuable there.

If a consistent way around the great shattering of the Python wrapper is available in future (builtin IronPythonX.X support etc.), then I’d likely use it to deploy solutions to the company. Not knowing if they have IP2.7 on the PC, and losing the flow control of written environments makes it a tough platform to scale to users who just smash buttons for things to happen in absence of that (dealing with 300+ these days, mostly non-programmers). Typically a ‘script run with errors’ will just lose me a user versus gain me a question/assist.

3 Likes