Walls will not tag in area plan views

I’ve searched the forums for an answer, but can’t find one. I’m trying to automate tagging walls in area plan views. I’ve got the definition working for regular plan views, but it’s a no go in area plan views, I’ve checked my view settings, view templates, and so forth. I’m able to tag walls directly in Revit no problem. Here’s the warning I get. Is there something special about area plan views that prevents dynamo from adding tags in them?

@Troy_Crandell Try setting the Tag.ByElementAndLocation node’s Lacing to longest.

No good, I get the same error.

I think you already answered this, @awilliams. :wink:

Area Plans are not currently supported.

1 Like

@Nick_Boyts Lol! I read the Error and my first thought was “hmm maybe its a lacing issue” and entirely neglected the area plan aspect of the issue, thanks for reminding me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

UGH!! I was afraid of that. Thanks @awilliams for pointing it out. Do you know if there’s a workaround?

One way is to create your own python node with the IndependentTag.Create() method (Revit 2018), I can give you an example tomorrow if you’re interested.

1 Like

@Troy_Crandell I agree with @Einar_Raknes; I’d think that a Python script might offer you a workaround.

Alternatively (and outside of Dynamo), if you don’t have an extremely large number of views, you could bear the repetitive in-Revit workaround of copying the tags from your floor plans and use Paste Aligned to Current View for each level’s Area Plans. Not the most ideal solution, but if you’re on a deadline, developing a Python script to achieve your goal might end up costing you more time than this alternative (depending on the number of views, of course).

1 Like

Also you can use the tag all by category feature and just send the desired selection to Revit. Then change the view to do the next set. It’s three clicks instead of one but depending on the sample size it might not be that much of a time differential.

1 Like

Antoher option is to use the “Create Annotation Tag” from the Achi-lab package: