Wall.ByFace gives null output

Hallo Dynamo community!

I am trying to model a complex facade (picture 1) so that I can then export its analytical model to Robot Structurala Analysis. The shape of the facade consists of a conceptual mass family. This work also entails a lot of experiments and iterations on the size of each rectangular element of the mesh. For this reason I thought to implement a dynamo script to optimise the process.

My idea was to automatically assign structural beams to the grid elements and walls (for obtaining analytical panels) within each rectangular boundary. Although it has been farily easy with structural framing, I am encountering several issues to create the walls. Since analytical panels are created with planar walls only, my idea was to create triangular surfaces to which apply walls using the Wall.ByFace node. So far, I haven’t got any luck in my purpose as the node gives me a “null” output (picture 2).

I saw that in the forum someone else faced the same issue, but without receiving a satisfying response.

Does anyone have the same problem and can suggest a solution or a workaround?

Adaptive Panels?

1 Like

Hallo Marcel and thank you for your reply!

I thought of using adaptive components but I read that they still don’t contribute to the analytical model. Did I misunderstand that?
Could you be more specific in explaining the workflow?

I agree with @Marcel_Rijsmus on this one; building walls here is going to cause more issues than it will solve near term.

Do you really need the Revit analytical panel if you’re moving over to Robot via Dynamo?

My plan was to use dynamo as an aid to implement the Revit model to then use the analytical automation tool to create the analytical model to send to Robot (therefore from Revit to Robot). In this case, I thought of applying walls for the purpose of converting them to analytical panels but also for the ease of changing their characteristics within the Revit environment (material, thickness, structural properties etc). Moreover, since my programming skills are not excellent and I am a new dynamo user, my goal was also to keep the code as succint and simple as possible.

Given this, do you think I should move straight from Dynamo to Robot instead? Could you suggest a workflow?