Using Dynamo to create a GUI - is it possible?

Hi,

I have been using Revit for the last 4 years however I am completely new to Dynamo and would like to start experimenting.

I have a feature that I would like to try and integrate in my Revit Models, but I am not sure if it is at all possible within Dynamo and the complexity for a novice.

I have several families within my Revit project that I use for indicating assets, within this family these are all assigned to a room. What I would like to do is to have some form of GUI that allows the user to select a room or multiple rooms and then isolates in a 3D view all the elements within this room.

Is it possible to use Dynamo to create a simple GUI?

My apologies for my naivety, I am still early days within researching and learning dynamo but wondered if it is at all possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

T

Not sure how much of a GUI you’re after, but the DataShapes package has some great nodes (called UI++) to generate sequential UIs with drop downs and such.

I recommend going all the way through the Primer first though - cover to cover, skip nothing. Even if it feels like you’ll never need to do that task, it’s about the concepts covered not the results.

2 Likes

I’m completely new to dynamo however I’d like to start learning as well. I think dynamo has a lot of potential but is also off putting to a lot of people. What I’d really like to see is dynamo become more like blueprint is in unreal engine. With blueprint, it’s possible to make interface based customizations without going into the dynamo interface. This includes not just playing a script, but actually have menus, parameters, and everything. It would be amazing if you could make some of these scripts than have a ui in revit to activate them just like any other feature, including giving them a keyboard shortcut or tab in the ribbon. sure these things could be run within the blueprint, but having a way to work with customizations directly in the GUI of revit would allow adoption to speed up!

Revit could actually learn a lot from unreal and visa versa. Glad they have partnered up for twin motion but I hope to see more integration as time goes on, maybe even dynamo becoming like blueprint.

Hi @tnievesP53K8,

Although it is not yet possible to create scripts without any interface with the actual Dynamo environment, it is to embed dynamo scripts into the Revit user interface if you combine them with PyRevit.
The magnificent @GavinCrump made a video covering this you can find here:

All of the ‘menus’ and parameter inputs you mention can all be achieved using the datashapes package that @jacob.small mentioned above

Dynamo has never been easier to learn, with so much supporting material and a thriving community. I would recommend doing as Jacob also said above and starting at the beginning of the dynamo primer and getting stuck in.

Good luck to you!

1 Like

Blueprints and interfaces are awesome in UE, but Dynamo and Revit are both so different to it that I can’t see it happening.

You could achieve this sort of thing to some degree using addins and modeless windows, but Dynamo uses the idling event in Revit so it doesn’t run all the time and maintain UI’s outside this generally.