Using a template for new Dynamo graphs

I found a few forum posts talking about adding a template option in Dynamo dating back to '17.

Are there still no solution for this, and if so do we have a reason?

It seems like a simple solution to solve with fairly little code, and it would be a major improvement for our workflows. I’m not interested in using the “sample workaround”, but I want a simple dropdown showing when pressing new that just searches a pre-defined folder for any template files that can the be used. Much like Revit does it.

I’m seriously considering adding this myself in a pull request to the github repo if it doesn’t exist yet.

Doesn’t exist directly, and I am sure the PR would be welcome, but with 2.18(?) we can now insert graphs from file, including your template of choice, so that may remove the need.

What is the “insert graphs from file” that you talk about, and how does it help with using a template file as a new document?

Save a bunch of DYNs as a template and use it like this:
202404038-neatTemplate

3 Likes

Oh I see, this is more for like snippets rather than a starting a new file from a predefined standard template, similar to Revit’s new project/family from template. Still useful and good to know, but not what I or the original author (as I understand) was looking for.

I just saw on the roadmap that a new from template is planned for implementation

In the meantime, I’m trying to implement this workflow that I’ve done in the past but for some reason having issues on my current version, posted here.