Tree map, Document map or similar

Is there any method of creating/displaying a short logical map of an entire dyn file, like a document map in MS Word? Is there any way of collapsing an entire group of nodes into a “bubble”, then create a map of “bubbles”? Paning and zooming around in a big dyn file is quite tedious and sometimes i get lost in the process.
Automatic creation of custom (composite) nodes from these “bubbles” would be wonderful, as we could reuse them into other dyn files as subroutines.
“Bubbles” should be just the minimized representation of a group, group name always visible, and maybe small comment available like in Excel comment.

Node to code then? Or create custom node from selection?

sounds like a cool extension

What you described sounds a lot like grasshopper. Unfortunately you don’t get any of these niceties in Dynamo yet. What you can use at this time is groups as yoyr bubbles, notes as your comments and custom nodes or code blocks to “collapse” portions of your code. Tho both of these steps are one way only, so once you’ve converted to either, you can’t go back and expand your code into the underlying nodes again. You’ll definitely need to resort to that for large graphs, because once you go over ~200 nodes, navigation starts to lag.

@Dimitar_Venkov: I don’t go for Grasshopper. I know it’s nice, but not so compatible with Autodesk products. I was thinking something like detail levels in Revit: Fine, Medium, Coarse. Fine = full map in Dynamo, Medium = “Bubble”-like map, Coarse = Tree-like mini-map.

Either one. Node to code seems easier to do. Custom node from selection would be great, but it might need some human (or AI) intervention.

Hey.

Unfortunately, I only know of a manual method. But for scripts I share, I create flow diagrams in a free program called Draw.IO (Desktop version). Doesnt take too long either.

Good tool to plan your scripts too.

Hope it helps.

It seems like a good idea, still i would prefer creating such flow diagrams directly in Dynamo. Maybe we could create empty groups, name them accordingly, then populate them with specific nodes and connections. Having such flow map created before the nodes would make problem identification and solving a lot easier.