Staged / Stepped Walls in Revit

Is there anyway that i can create stepped walls on Revit just like the image below? There is a script i’ve seen once that walls follows topography, but its not staged. How can i do this?

Hi @fabknop ,

The steps I would probably take:

1. Load the guiding curve into Dynamo as a single (poly)curve.
  2. Split the curve, for example at 1 meter intervals.
  3. Determine the heights you want each curve to be, lets say 1 meter above the ground on average. You can calculate this by, for example, getting 10 points on each subcurve and averaging the z-value.
  4. Using these heights create different planes.
  5. Project your curve parts onto these planes, such that they are flat.

Now you have the upper and lower curve for each wall part and you can expand/ actually create your wall from here

Let me know if you have any specific problems or if you don’t know how to do all steps.

1 Like

Hi I trying to do the same as the above and new to dynamo so unsure of the specific steps. Is there a script for this I can follow?

Please show what you have tried so far - the community is here to help each other learn, not provide solutions.

Okay so I have been following this youtube video
https://youtu.be/2SfanDMXe60?si=lbzVzjwqlUmt14Qu.

However after looking through some of the posts on here I think and I dont think I am using the right method for what I want to achieve. I have a topo surface and building pad (I’m using revit 2023) and I want to create a retaing wall around the perimeter of the pad but with varying heights to follow the topography height and the security fence sit on top of the retaining wall.

So I found this link on somones post where they have created a fence line following topo by making an adaptive component. (limit on links so following adding to my next reply)

I have also found this youtube video showing stepped retaining walls (4.18mins) where I can see they have also used an adaptive component. But he doesnt show the script because there is a link to buy.
(limit on links so following adding to my next reply)

I’m going to have a go at following the jbdynamo blog post but I still dont know how to vary the heights. Only just started using dynamo today so any help is appreciated.

(Revit Dynamite and Ammo: Hardscape on Topography: The ancient Revit problem)

(https://youtu.be/FTrdrnZFKcs?si=whhRht9qUnfT9273)

So the first step in any automation is to write out the steps required to accomplish your end goal.

You don’t need to have any code yet, or even think beyond ‘how would I do this manually?’

Case in point: you could take the center line of the wall, project it up to the topography, translate it up by your desired ‘height above the surface, and ‘height below the surface, loft the two curves into a surface, pull the perimeter curves and use that to edit the sketch of the wall… but that won’t work if your wall is curved. And it doesn’t make a ‘stepped’ top.

If we have the ‘steps’ for what you would do manually it is likely we can find a series of nodes to achieve an outcome.