Solid Sweep path issue - sweep not closing

Hello Forum

I was hoping someone might be able to help with an issue I have with creating a solid sweep on a curved path. I have created a path (curve) with 2 arcs and 2 lines and joined into a list to form a polycurve. I have used the CS to locate the profile to sweep. The solid sweep works fine with 3 sides of the path but when you add the fourth curve it fails - “Warning: Solid.BySweep operation failed.
Unable to update solid by sweep : SWEEP_INVALID_RESULT – Sweeping could not create a valid body.”

I tested the Curve.IsClosed node and this stated true that the path is closed.

Solid Sweep profile.dyn (18.8 KB)

Thank you for any help.
Tim

Two issues here.

1. The profile that you’re sweeping starts on the corner so it won’t make a good corner - you need to place it somewhere in the middle of a curve, far enough from the corner that it won’t be intersected by the profile on the return trip.
  2. The Solid.BySweep needs to be able to cap the ends in order to create a solid of itself. Your profile and your path are both closed there is no ‘open’ end on the swept geometry, and as such it has nothing to cap.

I solved problem 1 by getting the point at parameter 0.5 instead of 0, but other parameters should work as well.

Problem 2 is solved by using a Curve.SweepAsSurface node instead of a Solid.BySweep node. The result of the Curve.SweepAsSurface can be converted to a solid with a Solid.ByJoinedSurfaces node.

2 Likes

Hi JacobSmall

Thank you very much for your help. I will give this a try and I can see now why it is not working.

Thank you again.
Tim

try this
Edited Sweep.dyn (9.2 KB)