Sharing packages in the office

Hi community,

does anybody know how to make Dynamo pointing on a server for packages? I need to feed 10 users…

thanks

I don’t think that is possible yet, but I hope the development team is listening. This is a huge hurdle to widespread adoption of Dynamo. I know it would make the dyn’s larger and would present difficulties as things got updated, but I’d like to have an option to “save custom nodes to this definition” inside of the dyn so that upon deployment anyone could use the dyn without worrying about if the end-user had all the same tools installed on their machine.

As a work-around, I try to avoid using packages and custom nodes as much as possible, and when I do, I usually explode the custom node out to whatever python script nodes and standard nodes are contained so that it can be deployed without worrying about if users have the correct packages installed. Very stupid workaround, but it gets the job done 75% of the time (sometimes have to live with it because the custom node needs to be wired into a List.Map as a function or something…)

Have you looked into something like SyncToy or SyncBackSE? These utilities can copy the folders you have on the server to local machines on a nightly or weekly schedule.

thanks, I will look for now at the sync tools. and I can’t avoid using custom nodes :slight_smile:

Feel free to add your voice(s) to this issue from December 2013:

This sounds like one of those things that will take a while to implement.

Well as far as recommendations go, I like FreeFileSync ( http://www.freefilesync.org/ ,it’s open source too! ) . It has a feature called “Real Time Sync” which, if you’ve set up network folders, can monitor them for changes and copy those changes. It can also be set up at system boot-up ( http://vermeiliatips-trick.blogspot.sg/2011/03/how-to-set-freefilesync-realtimesyncexe.html )

A shared dropbox/ google drive folder might work too but it will require some manual effort, unless you somehow manage to set it up inside the user folders.

Just checking here… but if we use a sync tool, do we just need to mirror the entire

C:\Users\Luke Johnson\AppData\Roaming\Dynamo.7

folder tree to get consistency between users?