Set pile position via coordinates

Hi All,

I’d like to move some piles in Revit using the SetLocation node from Dynamo. Only issue I have is that the when I acquire the existing coordinates for the piles, they are not the same as the coordinates shown on my drawing.

Has anybody used these nodes before to move elements about?

Many thanks

Hi @Renzoj14

Could you please drop here dummy rvt file. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, here is a topic (march 2015) but may be useful to read first: http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/dynamo-to-relocate-placed-family-in-revit-file/

Hi KulKul,

Here’s the dummy file DummyProjectForKulkul.rvt (1.3 MB)

thanks for your time

Hi Yna_Db,

thanks for your help, I just tried the method on the link you provided but the python node is throwing some errors. I checked and double checked the code on the python node but the error remains. Have you managed to make it work?

thanks

No, I don’t use Python at the moment, but if you post your code (copy-paste it, select and clic ‘Preformatted text’), I’m sure there are proficient people willing to help here :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Renzoj14

Could you post your code and errors?

1 Like

Hi @Renzoj14

Is this what your looking for?

1 Like

Hi Kulkul,

That’s partly what I was looking for. What I need now is to be able to change the existing location of the my piles to the ‘as built’ location. I have the ‘as built’ Eastings and Northings on a spread sheet so I wanted to extract the piles location then set the new location using the nodes shown on my initial post (I notice these are new nodes, so i thought i should try them out) but as you can see the coordinates values in Revit are not the same in dynamo.

I thought that maybe the coordinates from my excel sheet would have to be converted to dynamo coordinates, then plugged into the ElementSetLocation node then use you’re method for setting the coordinates to Revit format.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your help Kulkul.

Hi Salvatore,

will have to redo my work as didn’t save the dynamo definition when i was trying to use the phython node. will post it later today.

Many thanks

Hi @Kulkul/@salvatoredragotta,

please see WIP script for updating piles location through excel. At the moment the script only works with projects that have not rotation. I hope this gives you a clearer idea of what i am trying to achieve. I now need to work out how to make this script work with a project which Base Point has been rotated.

I feel @Vikram_Subbaiah may have an idea on how to achieve this.

thanks again for your efforts guys

Dynamo-Set Pile Location.dyn (33.7 KB)
Pile Coordinates.xlsx (10.8 KB)

1 Like

@Renzoj14 You can place spot coordinates relative to PBP or SP.

Element.GetLocation node give the coordinates to PBP.

I don’t understand your coordinates in the excel spreadsheet though. What do they refer too?

@Kulkul How did you convert the coordinates in your custom node?

1 Like

Hi Salvatore,

The coordinates are random values for me to confirm the node works (which obviously does) the project file I uploaded for Kulkul does not have a rotation angle. If it did, the ElementGetLocation node would not read the right coordinates. This is the issue I am having, getting the ElementGetLocation node to read coordinates when the project has and angle of rotation from true north.

does that make sense?

thanks

Ok, I think I have learnt a way of displacing my piles using values from a excel sheet. I think the trick is to reset the angle to true north from the base point to 0 (zero) feed the new coordinate values to the piles and then return the angle to true north to its original value.

when placing coordinate call outs to the piles, they appear to show the correct value too, so my definition seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your time again @Kulkul and @salvatoredragotta

Dynamo-Set Pile Location.dyn (24.6 KB)

1 Like

Converting from Easting Northing & Elevation to Revit model coordinates requires a coordinate transformation that is typically dependent on your survey point, and also any project rotation that exists. For projects with (0,0,0) SP and BP, and zero rotation, this isn’t a problem, but in all other cases it is necessary to make a transformation something like this.

Easting%20Northing%20to%20Local%20Model%20Coordinates

2 Likes

Hi Kulkul,

Can you please share the custom code to convert XY coordinates to Easting and Northing ?