Selecting family type warning

Hi everyone, hope you all have a wonderful day. I have a problem doing exercise of dynamo prime. Please take a look at attached image, I do exactly what Dynamo Prime told me, but the “FamilyInstance.ByFamilyType” node does not work, it keeps warning. Any comments would be appreciated, thank u all.

Could you show the details of the warning? You are providing the node an Element instead of a familyType so that is most likely the source of the warning.

You won’t be able to get this to work because if you select an element in the model it’s always going to be an Instance, not a type and therefore the wrong input. Try and Element.Type node between.

2 Likes

Can you post a link to the exercise you are doing?

Thanh you for your reply, this is the detail of warning, any idea?

I was in the Selecting part of Dynamo for Revit ( section 8 of Primer), it used FamilyInstance.Symbol node but I coundn’t find this node. After some google I found that it was replaced by FamilyInstance.ByFamilyType node, and I had this warning. Any idea would be really helpfull to me. Thank you.

Ah. Looks like your googling for the new node lead you astray. Try this instead: Dynamo Dictionary

1 Like

yeah, that’s exactly what I’m looking for, thanks a lot. But can you tell me what the alternative of “FamilyInstance.Symbol” node is, no big deal, just curious to know. Thank you again.

I’m pretty sure that it’s the one I noted above. If you can confirm the graph works with that change then we’ll know. :slight_smile:

If it does work, please mark it as a solution, and I’ll mark a change request in the primer documentation.

Thanks!

Thank you so much, it works finally.

1 Like

This change to Element.Type instead of family instance symbol etc , works for me. Just tested it on the beam selection in the example in the primer as was also getting a similar error to the OP. Would be good to get the Primer checked against the Dynamo that is Shipping with Revit 2020 as it took me a few searches to find this answer. Thanks.

EDIT: Working Graph…

1 Like

FYI @solamour - good primer feedback.

1 Like