Search in Dynamo Revit is PAINFULLY SLOW

It still happens: fresh new pc (disk was formatted 1 month ago), 2-3 packages only (in local drive), even with new graphs, disabled almost alla addin (only lookup and another loaded from appdata): searchin 1 letter took 5secs. Navigating the library on the left also took secs to open the List.Modify menu.
Revit 2021 with Dynamo 2.6.1
Really cannot understand what happened to it, any new thoughts?

1 Like

So, it’s happening again with me.

This time running Dynamo 2.1 in Revit 2021. Same setup as before with Hardware.

This is unbearable.

1 Like

Still not sure what the issue is. When search is slow, everything is slow.

Strangely enough, the issue is off-and-on with me. My laptop was terribly slow a few months ago, and now it is very snappy.

When I run into the issue, I’ve been using the monocle pacakge and simple search. Highly recommended…even if dynamo remains sluggish.

Sounds like a lack of memory resources relative to the volume of data. Pushing from RAM to local disc will impact things that way. This is why model health becomes even more important as you get into computationally driven content.

I did not have the desktop connector installed when I first encoutered the issue.

Unfortunately, this is not really a viable option when working with BIM 360.

we think this has been addressed!

3 Likes

just wanted to hear if there is a solution already after all these years,. i still have such a slow search… i can’t believe that this isn;t fixed

Try simple search in Monocle by @john_pierson. It has custom node filtering also, which helps focus on core nodes if you dont want to find custom ones with similar names.

I believe the Dynamo team has made some improvements to search in 2023 and some more in 2024. I have noticed a big difference in 2023 vs older builds. It sometimes helps to reduce your packages to bare essentials as well so the search doesnt have to look through as much.

from the roadmap page.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.07.12 AM

1 Like

In all fairness, the search functionality is already much much better in Dynamo 2.16.1 for R23.

I found searching using the inbuilt methods for Dynamo 2.6.1 in R21 completely unusable.

Dynamo would have become too infuriating to even touch if it weren’t for Monocle’s Simple Search!

Glad to see it high on the roadmap agenda :+1:

1 Like

We are also directly looking at Search failures to fix here: [Request for Feedback] Searching in Dynamo - #44 by chuongmep

And in early work, we’ve managed to essentially cover all of the Dynamo Core cases :muscle: so we have high hopes that most current concerns with Search will be addressed.

5 Likes