Sastrugi Package - Updated

I have downloaded the latest update but still doesn’t work, i am using dynamo 2.0.2
it stopped working in that region, as it creates empty lists.

1 Like

Hello,

I am studying some applications of pointcloud in our workflows and came across this awesome package.

I am actually looking fow a way to convert an aerial pointcloud of roofs in revit geometry, but the ransac plane detection is showing an error.

thanks in advance @Ewan_Opie

Captura de tela 2020-10-19 133950

Revit 2020 full updated.

Hi,

Simply remove the capital letters of the inputs Points and Threshold and save the custom node.
Points and Threshold appear to be reserved keywords in the latest versions of Dynamo.

6 Likes

Thank you!! I am gonna test tomorrow, but looks great!

Lets see how my pointcloud behave in it

This is very cool. Thank you so much for your hard work! I’ll have to play with it.

I just got the message below, after creating a routine, using nodes to control visuals of a point cloud. Any thoughts why l am getting this error when trying to trigger the routine via Dyno?

Similar for the reverse…

Whcih version of Revit do you use?

Hi.

It was run in 2019.

@Gcf_Design Can you post your workflow dyn? This does not look like a Dynamo-side error, rather an error with how Dyno is calling the functions. Further investigation is required :thinking:

I’ll get back to you. I feel it’s Dyno.

Hi All,

It has been a while since I was able to look at developing any further functionality for the package, but now its time for a couple of exciting new additions to make working with Pointcloud data easier. :slight_smile:

:snowflake: Sastrugi Version 2.0.1 :snowflake:

This release will likely be the last that I do with code in the IronPython environment, as future releases will leverage the new capabilities provided in Cpython3.

Link to package release page:

Brief content description:

:snowflake:_Pointcloud RANSAC Plane Detection

UPDATED NODE: A revised algorithm has been added that should improve accuracy of plane definitions and speeds up calculation time.

This can be seen in action here:

ransac

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Select Points Randomly

RENAMED NODE: This has been renamed to fit in with the ‘Selection’ naming convention of new added nodes.

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Column From Points

This node calculates the shape and parameters for a column by assessing the layout of input points.
There will be room for improvement here, as this is a ‘proof-of-concept node’ to prove to myself that this was possible. :slight_smile: column from points

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Get Point Count

This node extracts number of points within the linked Recap Project file for the selected Pointcloud.
It is important to note that this is only functional with Revit 2022 API.

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Select Point

This node allows the selection of a single point from a Pointcloud Instance.

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Select Points

This node allows the selection of a multiple points from a Pointcloud Instance.

I am finding this node great for placing adaptive components, or approximating the external bounding dimensions and offsets required to define windows and doors in walls.

place family by points

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Select Points By Intersecting Element

This node takes a sample of random points from a Pointcloud Instance by using an intersecting element as the filter.

IntersectingFilter

:snowflake:_Pointcloud Select Points By Local Sample

This node allows users to select a specific number of Pointcloud Points by selecting a location on the Pointcloud in the Active View, creating a local sample area to extract points.

Local Sample

These new nodes should allow for greater stability of point cloud point selection for customized workflows. See the Examples page on my site for a few ideas. :wink: I have also updated the site with a couple of new sections I will be updating more regularly (Code Snips and an Exploration Blog)

10 Likes

Thanks for the work You’ve done. I’m looking forward to make this package work - for now I have an issue (I am using v 2.02 and Revit 2022, Dynamo 2.10.1) - when I use PointCloud Select Points I pick a point ckloud instance (.rcp) and then I am asked to select points - I get the “+” icon next to the cursor but after clicking on the point cloud nothing happens. Also when I am using Select Points by Local Sample - it works in general, but selected points dont highlight in the Revit window. Any idea what is the cause? Revit/dynamo/package versions mismatch?

Hi @bartoszborzeszkowski

Great to hear that you are looking to Sastrugi in your workflows.

Can you send me a screenshot of any errors you are receiving when performing the task? If none are displaying I think I know what the issue is.

I have some tweaks to make for 2022/2023 that I was going to save for the next release. Here are the WIP nodes.

Can you replace the ones in your package folder with these and let me know if that helps?
__Pointcloud_Select_Points_By_Intersecting_Element.dyf (67.0 KB)
__Pointcloud_Select_Points_Randomly.dyf (62.4 KB)
__Pointcloud_Select_Point.dyf (73.9 KB)
__Pointcloud_Select_Points_By_Region.dyf (260.5 KB)
__Pointcloud_Select_Points.dyf (69.3 KB)

5 Likes

Just replaced them and… it works now! BIG BIG thank You - this node glued together the workflow I’ve been working on for 2 months :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Ewan_Opie I’ve been trying to find the link to download your most updated point cloud package. Can you send me the link through here? Thank you so much! I’m new to dynamo and my company works on point clouds so I’m planning to use your awesome dynamo package!

I have finally had / found some time to update the core functionality of the package. :partying_face:

• Built against Revit 2023 and Dynamo 2.16.

• Nodes updated to use CPython3.

• Nodes outside of Pointcloud Geometry and Pointcloud Graphics depreciated.
    By focusing on Pointcloud functionality, I should be able to better maintain and add content. Other nodes can still be obtained by downloading previous versions from DynamoPackages.com or the package manager.

• Nodes renamed and regrouped for simplification.

• Stability of point selection improved.

This release should hopefully address the issues experienced here:

But as always everyone, please let me know if something doesn’t work. I am always happy to help. :wink:

5 Likes

New minor release - Unit Bug fixes

Hi All,

I have found some time to reassess how the nodes handle the discrepancies between projects with Imperial Units or Metric Units.

I’ve made a few changes that should hopefully resolve some of the issues where Points are not being returned via the Selection Nodes due to unit values outside Revit’s working range.

As usual, reach out if you are experiencing issues or have questions around PointCloud data manipulation or usage. :slight_smile:

Available through the package manager or from the Dynamo Packages website link below.
Sastrugi 3.0.1 from the Dynamo Packages Website

4 Likes