RVT20_Placing Centered Views on Sheets

By the way, here is the Excel file that I use in my script:
SHEET CREATION LIST test.xlsx (13.1 KB)

You must spell the names of the levels, scope boxes, etc. exactly in the excel file for the script to work properly. The data in the excel sheet must match the names of the level elements that you create in the revit file.

Also, I’ve noticed that the script must be closed and reopened every time it is run, or it won’t work properly. I don’t know why, but if the script fails due to a spelling error in the excel data (or something like that), you must correct the excel file, undo the changes in revit, close the dynamo graph, then reopen and run it again.

Hope you can understand the graph. It is not very well documented so that others can understand it.

1 Like

thank you Frank! I really appreciate your help on this!

Sadly i took a look and it looks very complex :frowning: i am currently creating scripts that anyone can use without knowing anything about dynamo. This is pretty advanced which is great but sadly not for what I’m trying to get done.

Pretty damn good though!

09/29/21 - Still have yet to figure this out, if anyone has anything that could help for this thats not too advaced I’d really appreciate it

just looking to center these views but not sure how to go about it. Would be open to using a python code that could essentially be the “sheet.bynamenumbertitleblockandview” + view location/placement. Not sure if theres a code out there that I could use but if there is please let me know where to look because it would be amazing! Thank you so much to everyone for replying and being involved in this!

I utilize Dynamo to create views and sheets. They do put them on the sheet but typically I wont center them until later when I have crop regions all setup. You can certainly do so before. This is what I use however to center my views on sheets. The Python Script is just what is selected. I am sure it could get incorporated into your script.

1 Like

One other thing to note is you will need to understand where the center of your viewport needs to be on the TB. I am unaware of how to find the insertion point on a TB as it is not a option in the Visual Graphics. However my work around that to find the center is to export to Autocad and find the insertion point there.

1 Like

Thank you Jacob! I will look into this, will let you know if I get it to fit into my script. I appreciate it!

if i understand you mean find an insertion point on titleblock…you can probably use something here …

1 Like

@sovitek that would definitely let you get the center where you want to place it or how far from insertion point the TB is. I will have to check that one out.

1 Like

Hi Jacob…but how about just make an boundingbox on the titleblock then you can get the center…

I…I think I have done it.

it moves the views on my sheets to the specified coordinates. It gives me a null list but it does the job. Can anyone see anything that could be wrong in here? If not I will post the script + excel template so that everyone could use it.

After months of working on this script on and off, I have finally gotten it to work. Thank you so much to everyone who took the time out of their days to comment on this post.

I’ve attached the script and excel template as well. Take care everyone! DynamoScript_CreatePlans and Sheets + Views_RVT20.dyn (84.6 KB)
Dynamo Sheet Creation Template .xlsx (21.5 KB)

1 Like

If this helps at all, I know it’s not a Dynamo solution, but today I found an Add-In on the AutoDesk App store called Align Views. They have versions for 2018-2022 and it costs $5 as a one-time pay. I’m finding it working really well, and you can specify if you want the views on different sheets to align to center, bottom-left, upper-right, etc. The only thing I’ve found is that if your view extents are slightly larger on one view or another (such as annotations or features seen in some views but not others), the view alignment might be slightly off. But I think a scope box might be helpful.

Check it out here:
https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=4485576807684749513&appLang=en&os=Win64

1 Like

Since the output of the SetBoxCenter is “void” or no return element, the null is expected if it successfully completed.

2 Likes

thank you Sean, this makes things clearer!

1 Like