View gets incorrectly placed on sheet

I’m new to Dynamo and I can’t find the solution for this specific problem. I basically want to place an existing view to an existing sheet. I’ve managed to do so but the view gets incorrectly placed on the sheet as you can see on the picture below. How can I tell Dynamo to place it correctly?
Please tell me if there is a better way to do this.

Here a simple example.

or else,

sheet 1.dyn (9.8 KB)

That’s nice! But it doesn’t work for me :frowning:

When I search for family types I can’t find my sheets. Why is that?

Adding on to this, anyone come up with a way to place a view in the same location as a referenced view from a sheet within a link (i.e. floor plan views on MEP sheets to match/align with views from architectural sheets)?

Try with Revit default template…you might find solution.

Because a Sheet is not in the Family Types list, it is a Sheet element.
You need to find your TitleBlock Family Type there.

Make sure you get your Revit terminology correct otherwise learning Dynamo is a LOT harder.

1 Like

The first script works but it doesn’t solve the problem. The view still gets placed incorrectly. I want it to be placed in the center of the sheet. Not in the corner like I showed.

Yes, you are right. That’s very difficult for me. I’m trying my best to learn :slight_smile:
At work, we use our own templates and in them, we have pre-made sheets. My goal is to put views on those sheets. Do you have any advice on how I can do that? I tried to learn how to put a view on a existing sheet which I managed to do. But the view gets placed in weird way. I want it to be placed in the center of the sheet. Not in the corner.

hi @Denish97, can check out this too.

1 Like

Then you need to use an insertion point other than 0,0,0. That exact value will vary based on your titleblock, so you’ll have to adjust to see what the correct value is.

I believe that the same method show and discussed above will work for this, assuming:

1. You know the location in the reference view. I recommend just grabbing this manually once and using excel, a notepad, or a code block to keep the value consistent in a project.

2. Both have matching dimensions and scale. A scope box helps for this, but there are other ways.

3. Both title blocks have matching origins. Yes, this is a dumb thing to have to think about but you do - if either office CER started by just importing a CAD file you may find the sheet view’s origin is slightly in relation to one titleblock or another.

Yes, but I don’t understand how to work with insertion points in Dynamo to be able to do this. It’s very confusing to me since I’m a beginner. Which nodes can do this and how do I combine them with the existing ones?

You already have the node which creates a point in the workspace - Point.ByCoordinates.

Provide a number input for the X and Y value and you should be able to control how the view is inserted.

We had the same issue over here.
Try this:

Use method 1 when you need to use a other point Y.
Use method 2 when you only need the center.

When you use more views you can use the node Curve.PointsAtEqualSegmentLength after the line.

Points.dyn (61.9 KB)

Hi @Denish97

After placing views on Sheets, then manually set one Sheet as per your requirement as “TemplateSheet”. Make your selection as per your list.

03 AlignSheetViewsFromTemplateSheet.dyn (9.0 KB)

3 Likes
  • The packviews node looks at the sheet family boundary and starts to fill the sheet with your list of views by starting at one corner. This is because titleblock families don’t have a well-defined ‘put stuff here’ boundary for nodes to reference.

• Personal preference is the point selection method as already mentioned by other users. You can semi-automate the point selection by using the sheet size and some math. Something like (SheetWidth-TitleWidth)/2 for X and SheetHeight/2 for Y to attempt a ‘centered’ insert. Or you can do it manually and iterate until it looks right.

• Review your titleblock families. If they were built offset from the family origin, it complicates the point placement process. This is especially true if you have multiple titleblock sizes that have been offset by different values, or you are using a provided titleblock family (like in a subconsultant relationship).

1 Like