Rotating Revit family in two Planes simultaneously

Hello,

Does anyone know how to rotate multiple Revit elements/family in two planes at the same time?
I have a few solar panels and i want to rotate them in both zy and zx plane at the same time, but don’t find any node that does that.

I have used Geometry.Rotate and CoordinateSystem.Rotate but with them it’s not possible to rotate along two planes at the same time.
Thanks for your help.

Hello! i think i’ve read some things in the past about rotating families on a duel axis here;

alternatively, if you don’t require a high level of detail you could take this approach.

1. Convert the elements into geometry
  2. Rotate the geometry on both the axis you want
  3. Create a new family from the rotated geometry.

I have read the post there. I don’t think the suggestions there will help me since the suggestions are directed towards adaptive family. In my case I just have simple solar panles.
On the other hand, your suggestion is good. This gives me the final result. But I need to see how the panels are rotating in two planes simultaneously to do a solar analysis.
My goal is to creat a point which will represent the sun. And when the ponit moves the solar panels will follow the movement and rotate twords the point. So it is the movement that I am more intrested in not the final resualt.

Oh! in that case, then this looks more promising for you.
you can create a family using this as a guide (But more specific to your needs)

Then use a dynamo to drive the parameter values into each of the solar panels for angles based off the point vectors in relation to the families.

Thank you for your answers.
My panels have no rotation parameters. I wanted to use dynamo for rotation in two axis/planes at the same time. But the video gave me the idea to create rotation parameters inside the family first. I think if I create two parameters one for ratation in zy and one for rotation in zx than it should solve what I want to achieve. Thanks again for your guidness.

The best path forward on this is going to come down to the intended result.

• If in the end you’re going to want a dynamic panel which sits on a frame and moves, I’d go with a pair of parameters for the rotation of the panel on the frame as it will allow demonstration of how the panel adjusts throughout the year/day.

• If in the end you’re going to want a static panel which sits on a frame without moving, I’d go with the adaptive route as it will allow setting the panels where they need to be with the least amount of complexity in the project environment.

Both will require you revisit your family to allow for the flexibility you intend.

2 Likes