Rhino import to Revit 2019 using Rhynamo

Hello guys,

I am trying to import Rhino model into Revit through Rhynamo. It is showing the rhino object in the Dynamo window, but after running the script it is not showing into Revit. I closed the program and reopened it and it says that there’s a file load exception. I am using Rhynamo 2018.11.26 version

Do tell me if I should upload the files, they are big, and I will try to upload a smaller file. I hope there’s a solution to this. I went to their new website (https://provingground.io/tools/rhynamo/)to redownload rhynamo, but it does not seem to work.

Looks like you are only seeing the Dynamo geometry, which has not yet been pushed to create Revit elements (walls, floors, roofs, panels, etc.), and as such you won’t have anything created in Revit. Check the rest of your graph to ensure you’re creating Revit content not just making Dynamo geometry. Enabling the Revit preview of Dynamo geometry can help (in Dynamo View Menu > Background 3D Previews > Available Previews > Revit).

Also be sure you’ve checked your file coordinates and units carefully, as the content could be showing up outside of your desired location (ie the Revit origin and generated content could be off screen)

Hi Jacob,

Is it not going to import the whole mass as generic model? There are too many elements to separate. I have sub-layers in rhino and I can’t figure out how to write the command for it when I use the “object by layer” command. The model location is close to the origin as I’ve been exporting in DWG of the same model in revit as well. Thank you!

Not unless you tell it to. Overall I don’t condone this method as the result might as well be a 3DM import, both of which have workflow issues downstream if you aren’t careful. Nothing is BIM about the results, and you can’t do much with it. Likely something like the FamilyInstance.ByGeometry Node from the spring nodes package is the way to get it done though. Name might be wrong but package isn’t.

Typically a better solution is to use your Rhino geometry to create native Revit elements (ie: walls, floors, roofs, etc.) using the the defining characteristics. Keep in mind that the defining characteristics might be as simple as (no particular order):

Panel/similar multi point elements: Series of points (typically 4) and a type.
Million/similar linear elements: Line, profile type, and normal.
Wall/similar linear elements: line, type, and extruded height
Floor/similar sketch elements: Boundary lines, and a type.

Planning how to break down your model in advance (ie: creating points for the panels, lines for the walls, with types on their own layer to make getting the right type of data easier) help quite a bit too.

So, I tried again with your advice, I isolated a mesh into a layer to try creating floor in revit, but there’s another problem.

The preview is still not showing in revit (I’ve checked and Revit preview in Dynamo is enabled. File coordinate is still close to origin as well. But I can’t seem to proceed from here to creating Revit elements. Are there packages that I should install?
Also, does having windows 7 making the programs incompatible? I was trying another method but having windows 7 seems to be a problem, is it the same thing here with Revit 2019 and Dynamo 2018?

Can you send a snapshot of your dynamo version from Help > About?

Try again after an upgrade to Dynamo 2.0.3 via the Dynamo builds site. Make sure you are on the latest Rhynamo as well.

So I tried to install Dynamo 2.0.2 (can’t find a 2.0.3, it jumps to 2.3.0) But apparently it is already installed, but why is it not shown as a newer version in Revit 2019? I tried to replace it with what I downloaded (reinstall)m but it is still opening the 1.3.4 version.

Another option is to use ‘Rhino.Inside’. It is pretty awesome
https://www.rhino3d.com/inside

You could have an incorrect or incomplete 2.0 install there already. You may have to remove all Dynamo installations and start over with new installs unfortunately. :frowning: Perhaps a restart will resolve it?

Note that there is a 2.0.3 installation on the DynamoBuilds site here: