Revit Floor getting the Element.Geometry problem

Hi there and a happy new year 2018,

I starting with a, maybe, old problem. I select a floor by “Select Model Element” and want to export this floor in a .SAT File for our CNC-Machine. I get an error with the “Element.Geometry” Node. I saw I’m not the only one with this problem but still couldn’t find an answer. Is it possible to convert a floor Systemfamily into a solid?

Cheers,

Ani

1 Like

Could you show us the error of the “Element.Geometry”-node?

Yes, you mean this…

well…my node works
Have you tryed to restart Revit and Dynamo?

Yes I did, multiple times. Did you select a floor, because I think those are making trouble…

ok/ yes i selected a floor/ sorry…can’t help you

How does your floor look like?

Post a revit file with the offending floor and the DYN. It may be that the selected floor has bogus geometry.

It does not depend on the geometry I think it is just the type floor… I’m using Revit 2017.2. Here are the examples:xxx.dyn (9.3 KB)
Projekt_Floor.rvt (1.6 MB)

@Annie_74
Im not shure what is work correctly but try:

import clr
clr.AddReference('RevitNodes')
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)
OUT = [UnwrapElement(i).ToProtoType(True) for i in IN[0]]

one moment:

at second geometry floor you catch this error
Traceback (most recent call last):
** File “”, line 6, in **
StandardError: Unable to trim surface as the input loop geometry could be illegal

hm, it works with simple geometry but I still have problems with curves like you… Is there no way to convert a floor element into a “dynamo” solid. Maybe I should try this with C# and not with Dynamo. I need to export this complex floor geometry into single dxf oder .sat files for the CNC machine… maybe I should group them first and then save the group as .rvt and then export as dxf… but I think those are to many steps between. I’ll think about this over the weekend. Thanks for your support so far.

Yes, my answer its not solution for you )

you may to try get floor curves end extrude them - you take that geometries … but it’s a long and bad way, I think exist a solution easier

you could try this:

2 Likes

@Fiesta
Good Idea!)

@Annie_74
I think this real solution for you from @Fiesta )

1 Like

Thank you @Fiesta. This is really a great idea, now it works!

There are situations where extracting faces doesn’t work either, like the example below.

I’ve found that exporting a SAT file of the element then importing the geometry into dynamo always works. You can create a new 3D view of the isolated selected object, export to SAT, import the geometry back into dynamo, delete the view and the SAT file you created and perform whatever operation you need all in one hit.

Alex

1 Like

Hi Alex, could you please share the python code from the ‘Export SAT’ node?

could you please share the python script?