Revit/Dynamo facade modelling

Hello everyone,

I have a facade with a few standardized modules.
The size of the aluminium profiles remains the same, but the glass size changes.
For example:

How would this be modeled in Revit/Dynamo? With the use of adaptive components or families?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @george,

Why use Dynamo for this?
You can think of it as a standard “Window Family”.

1 Like

Thank you @Durmus_Cesur,

So essentially I just need to create a new Revit family? Okay.

I was thinking of maybe using Dynamo to identify the placing of each facade element, based on the module size(type). This is what I mean:

Would Dynamo be useful in automating something as this?

Dynamo is the best way to do this.

-1 Create Family,

• Determine the size of your types.

Could you share the files you have.?

1 Like

Thank you @Durmus_Cesur!
The screenshots were not created in Revit.
But here is an example file, with the cross-section crvs.
facade_types.dwg (211.1 KB)

Hi @george,

I didn’t have the chance to edit it because I did it at limited time, so it might look confused. I just did it to give you an idea.

1 Like

Adaptive components would be the other way to do this, and may allow for an easier placement depending on the mass.

Thank you @Durmus_Cesur!!!

@jacob.small, what would be the difference between these two approaches? The one with creating a new family, and adaptive components? Only that easier placement?

If you have a simple, flat glass facade, a third option could be to use Curtain Walls and replace the panels with windows.
You need to create a window family starting from a Curtain Wall - Panel or a Window - Curtain Wall family template. (or edit an existing one, there is one in the 2019 US Library).

When you have to schedule them, you might Dynamo to group the family instance according to dimension.

There are different approaches, but I would say to use:

• windows: when you have a host wall and the element are mostly isolated from each other
  • curtain wall panels/windows: when you have a glass facade (i.e. with mullions) and you want to place some openable/custom components
  • adaptive panels: as above, but with freeform shapes
2 Likes

Thank you very much @lucamanzoni !!
What would happen if corners of the facade are suppose to be filleted_
Can the solution that you showed be used in that case?
Here is top view of the facade:

Easier point placement with family instances. Greater flexibility with adaptive components (let’s say you need the stack 3” shorter - that’s new families or adjust your points). Easier to embed in a wall with families. Easier to get a consistent, “just the glass please” look with adaptive components.

Since you’re filleting the corners, either the CW tool or the adaptive component method will create a filleted look.

FWIW: basic use = curtains wall tool.

2 Likes

Thank you @jacob.small,

But Revit’s “Curtain Wall” can only create straight walls. The corners can not be filleted?

It is also worth mentioning the downside of adaptive components here.
Even though they are massively cool and flexible, they are also, if placed in large numbers, gonna make your model gain some serious weight, which will effect performance.
If this is the case, then it might be worth considering using ordinary generic models instead, when the design is final.

1 Like