Revit/Dynamo facade corners modelling

As a Revit/Dynamo beginner, just a few days ago I asked a question on some of the different methods by which curtain wall facades can be designed in Revit/Dynamo.
I got plenty of good replies, and I thank to all the users for their share of knowledge!
@lucamanzoni informed me about 3 possible way in which curtain walls could be designed:

• windows : when you have a host wall and the element are mostly isolated from each other
  • curtain wall panels/windows : when you have a glass facade (i.e. with mullions) and you want to place some openable/custom components
  • adaptive panels : as above, but with freeform shapes

What confuses me now, how would the upper list looks like if curtain wall corners would have to be filleted?
Does this mean that only adaptive components will be able to do this?
Revit’s default curtain wall family seems to support only sharp corners:

Here is an example of the facade whose filleted corner panel I would like to model in Revit:

Any reply would be appreciated.

the panel inside the curtain wall can be a basic wall
it allows rounded corners

1 Like

Thank you @Marcel_Rijsmus.
So I am somehow suppose to fillet the wall used as a curtain wall’s panel?

?
I am not sure I understand you.

1 Like

copy the curtain wall type in the project browser
set the panel to be a basic wall in its properties
in floor plan sketch this new curtain wall type with the corner already in the sketch
sorry i’m dutch, my english is poor
if you want the mullions to bend aswell, use an adaptive panel

1 Like

Thank you once again @Marcel_Rijsmus.

You English is actually quite good.
Sadly I am not sure how to do the step:

“in floor plan sketch this new curtain wall type with the corner already in the sketch”

I created a filleted wall with the “Curtain Wall 2 duplicate” family type, but I am not sure how to create a fillet panel out if it:

The video that you attached is the second approach, by using the adaptive components?

yep.
and if you are at it, check all the videos by Zach Kron
you created a fillet, but when you sketch the base line of your curtain panel, normally a straight line, now put some arcs in.

1 Like

[quote=“Marcel_Rijsmus, post:6, topic:32577, full:true”]
yep.
and if you are at it, check all the videos by Zach Kron[/quote]
I will thank you.

I didn’t understand you.
Instead of filleting two walls, I am suppose to create two model lines with an arch in between them. And then create walls from those lines and an arc:

And afterwards? How can I generate the curtain wall curved panels, as from the first post of this topic?

it must be my Dutch background.
first go to a floor plan view
start a new wall
draw the line for the wall with an arc in it
change the wall type to the curtain wall type with the basic wall as panel.
To add panels make some curtain grids

Thank you again @Marcel_Rijsmus,

The upper screenshot represents the result of the instructions that you just gave me:
A new duplicated curtain wall family with basic wall set for its “Curtain Panel” property:

Then a new wall created containing an arc:

But after that I am not sure how to:

“To add panels make some curtain grids”

1 Like

Thank you once again @Marcel_Rijsmus,
This the result (Revit 2019 is glitchy as hell in creation of curtain grid on the middle filleted wall):

And I finally understand what you meant by:

“if you want the mullions to bend aswell, use an adaptive panel”

So the answer to this topic is topic’s question: it is NOT possible to create filleted curtain wall corners (with both mullions and glass being filleted) with curtain wall panels/windows, but only with adaptive panels.

1 Like

@george please note that this the Dynamo Forum, so you will probably find better explanations and resources on the actual Revit Forum.

I think the answer is: it’s not possible (at least not yet) to have curved panels and curved mullions in a curtain wall system family.

However, if you are in an early phase of the project, or you just need your facade to look good, the workaround is to replace the panels with Walls elements and add Wall Sweeps instead of mullions.

Of course these elements are not scheduled as panel and mullions, so you need to be careful in late phases of the project. (You could use Dynamo to get some information about them)

Other options are, as it has been already indicated, adaptive panel and generic model families.

2 Likes

Hi @lucamanzoni

Thank you once again for the useful reply and help!

Would you just remind me the part where “generic model families” have been discussed in this or the previous topic?
It can be that I misunderstood their mention.

Yes it was mentioned by @MartinSpence in the other topic.

What he meant, I guess, is to simply model the geometry as a generic family, as you would, let’s say, with Rhino (extrusion, sweeps, apply materials to objects, etc…).
It has some pros and cons, it’s up to you :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @george,

Try reading through this very interesting article, by one of the best :slight_smile:

It wont solve your filleted corners challenge, but it’s a very interesting read. I agree with @Marcel_Rijsmus to take a look at @Zach_Kron blog to learn about adaptive components. Pretty much everything I know I learned there :slight_smile:

4 Likes