Revit 2023 Node is yellow but there is no error

Hi guys,

My graph works fine, but it says “Run with errors” and there is a yellow node, but there is no warning and furthermore it does like it should:

So what is the Problem here? I compared the in- and output of the node with Revit 2019 & 2021 and they are the same values.

My Revit version is 23.0.11.19

EDIT:

I just noticed, that this node has a new name in Revit 2023, maybe thats why it says “Run with errors”

Could this be the reason? At what do I do now: I want the dynamo-File to run in Revit 19&21&23 without getting the “Run with error” warning. Currently it works like a charm in Revit 19&21.

Edit #2:

OK I created a custom node to use the right node, but I still get the “Run with error” message eventhough there is no yellow or red node?

Here the code of the custom node:

curve;
thickness;
normal;
revitversion;
bol = revitversion["Version"] == "2023" ? true : false;

y = [Imperative]{
	if (revitversion["Version"] == "2023"){
		return PolyCurve.ByThickeningCurveNormal(curve, thickness, normal);
	}
	else{
		return PolyCurve.ByThickeningCurve(curve, thickness, normal);
	}
};

Does this persist after you restart the cpu?

1 Like

Not sure why you aren’t getting the warning flag, but here’s the error:
It’s just a notification that the node will be deprecated, however it still works. If you want to get rid of the warning state I think you’re going to have to write your code in python or figure out how to get the flag back so you can dismiss the warning.

1 Like

@jacob.small
Good point. I will try it later.

But I have an interesting update for you:

I can’t open the script neither in Revit 2019 nor in 2021. Even if I save the old version that works for R19 & R21 and save it in R23 under a different name, it can’t be opened in R19 or R21. When I try to dynamo just opens a new file instead.

@Nick_Boyts
Do you know how I can access this node in python? As far as I know the Geometry nodes are not open source on github.

Typically you don’t want to save a graph in a later version and try to let it open backwards. Keep your files in the oldest working version you can to avoid issues like this. They don’t happen often, but they do happen.

That being said, you may have other issues that are causing problems for Dynamo in general. Try the Jacob Small Special™ and remove all add-ins and try again.

Dynamo nodes are accessible in python by loading DSCoreNodes.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help. I was afraid that this could happen and hoped that it doesn’t but here I am :smiley:
Our scripts are written in a way, that it doesn’t matter which revit version is used, which is really convenient.

I knew I could access List.Flatten etc via DSCore, but that the geometry nodes are accessable too is really good to know, as on github they are not listed under DSCore.

You may just be looking at the core Dynamo repo and not the Dynamo for Revit repo. Anything dealing with Dynamo geometry types requires ProtoGeometry to be loaded.

Oh I need to set this as a shortcut…

3 Likes

Some graphs will work like that without issue, and in the olden days this was certainly the case.

However with the sheer number of Dynamo, Dynamo API, Revit, and Revit API changes which we are now seeing (and I think we will continue to see), I recommend building from the ‘oldest supported version’, and upgrading the library for each release.Then path to the right library for the version in use. File structures all stay the same, you just add a separate folder for the new build.

This shouldn’t feel unique to Dynamo - your add-ins load uniquely per version, and you likely have a different family libraries and project templates for each Revit release - but it may be a change in how you build, deploy, and develop graphs.

For those who I’ve seen implement this system it’s netting in a time saving, as graphs just get opened once in the ‘next build up’, saved to the new folder, edited for any fix once, and then move onto the next graph. That process can even be automated to some extent (you still need to look at the graph and decide if it’s working).

1 Like

Are you shure that its from DSCore? The only thing I found on the DynamoDS/Dynamo repo was this:

Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry.PolyCurve.ByThickeningCurve

Yup. I don’t know how often the repo gets updated, but the python code I showed you is a working example. Have you tried it the way I have it shown?

I have tried it now and its not obtained from DSCore, but like I said from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry
Please don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to seem like know-it-all. I am just still learning when to use import and add reference, so I just wanted to know exactly what is needed to use the geometry nodes.

1 Like

@jacob.small @Nick_Boyts

Thank you two for your help! With both of your tipps I think I am able to solve my problem here. Unfortunately I can’t mark both of your answers as solution :smiley:

Case closed :slight_smile: :+1:

Edit:

I was able to achieve my goal via working on the dyn file in R21 and using a python node for PolyCurve.ByThickeningCurve(Normal) :+1:

1 Like

I see what you’re saying. Yes, I misspoke. You are correct. ProtoGeometry imports the methods needed for geometry conversion and most of the core geometry “nodes” as well. DSCoreNodes is used for most other methods.

2 Likes

20230302-DynamoHelp

4 Likes

I think you just solved 99% of all Dynamo problems.

3 Likes