Old scripts, new 2023 Revit Dynamo: not happy

Guys,

Revit 2023 keeps crashing on me while working on a medium / large script form 2021 (the year, not the version).

I had to use Monacle to re-space all the nodes, then, as usual, hours of debugging the script (that 95% of the times no longer works.)

If debugging an old script is unavoidable since nodes do change their behaviors, and I forget how it works anyways, the crashing is pretty bad: I cannot keep revit open for more than 20 minutes before it just quits on me while editing the graph.

The thing is, I have been editing a new script (born and raised in 2023) and I did not have the crashes.

So, it is either the old script opened in the new versions of Dynamo, or there is something I am doing in the script that crashes revit.

Also, after one of the crashes, the node re-opened like in the screen capture attached: no links between nodes, and all the code blocks went blank.

I guess my question is: how are your old scripts running on 2023?
Any crashing issues?

Thank you

Snag_1911a387

The overlapping nodes or disappearing nodes behavior is usually a sign of a conflicting Revit add-in, or a conflict created by a package. I suggest disabling ALL of your Revit add-ins and see if the behavior persists. If so you might need to find out which one and work with the author to produce a conflict free update. If not, make sure all your packages are built for 2023 and arenā€™t triggering any errors.

1 Like

Well, Jacobs, many packages produce the yellow exclamation mark, because I have a newer version of them installed in 2023.

I mean, Dynamo understands they are newer packages, and uses the new nodes, right?

Am I supposed to install the older packages?

thanks

Can you post an example of the warnings you are seeing?

Dynamo will utilize the updated package if it has a mapping of old to new, which most major packages do. You may need to update directly in some cases though, even got out of the box nodes (ie: the If node).

Hi Jacob,

I meant these exclamation marks:

I guess we ignore these?

Thank you

Those warnings on the right are letting you know they may have a problem in that the version you have in the environment doesnā€™t align to the version used to originally author the graph. Youā€™ll need to review the outcome to confirm the results.

The node on canvas with a red exclamation mark is indicating an error, not a warning. That node will need to be replaced or the package installed/updated.

Yes, Thank you Jacob.

The script is running, with a lot of ā€œSavesā€ between edits to make sure, but crashes seem under control.

I think it was a matter of opening an old script and then running the Monocle re-sizer (a life saver).

A combination of these must have created the graphics glitches I showed you.

Thank you again,

regards

This post has a few graphs to bulk update your graphs, including size and a few other things.

Might help you update the library a bit faster, and you can hopefully look over the logic to find how to bulk fox other aspects of your library which need multiple fixes.

Jacob,

thank you for the scirpts, I will look into them.

In the meanwhile, something I forgot to mention in this thread: sometimes editing a custom node will result in the RENAMING of the node as the main scriptā€¦

I do not remember this ever happening before, so it may be related to old scripts opened in 2023?

Obviously Dynamo does not find the custom node and produces an errorā€¦

see attached screenshot.

Thank you

This seems to have happened in a recent release, in even Dynamo sandbox, so not a Revit specific thing. However as I canā€™t consistently reproduce I assumed I just mixed something up and kept on going. @solamour might be worth reviewing in the near future.

This is a bug we are aware of and working on now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just realized that a new custom node is showing in the node browser, with the name of the whole script.
How do I clean that up?

thank you

Save as a new dyn, and restart the CPU. If it still shows up check the package folder. If it isnā€™t in there thenā€¦ I donā€™t know actually. Message back here and Iā€™ll rally some troops for data gathering I guess.

I had some luck with doing and immediate save-as after opening the node. Not reproduceable and hacky, but it puts that node into the recently-opened list so it can be reopened without the main graph DYN open. We need a hackathon about how to successfully edit a node in Dynamo Revit 2023.1.

Hi,
I managed to give the node its original name.

I am also a bit unhappy about the ā€œupgradeā€ to 2023.

There seems to be some aesthetic decisions made whichā€¦some are irritating and some are unbearable.
For exmplae, the Watch node is more or less pointless, and the list-dropdown is better.

I am usually moving my watch node along my scripts as i develop them, so this is very irritating, but maybe i am the only one affected.

The thing REALLY irritates me, is the instability. I am crashing on very simple graphs. Iā€™m here now because Iā€™ve crashed for the second time in 30 minutes on VERY SIMPLE graphs with VERY SIMPLE data-structures. Iā€™m actually only doing pretty light querying of models and excel-files.

Also, selecting many nodes to move them around is sometimes impossible.

I do like that the scripts are backwards compatible (as far as Iā€™ve read) but many of the other changes just seem unnecessary. I actually still prefer working in revit 2021 with old builds.

Canā€™t say I have experienced any instability. In fact things are orders of magnitude more stable for me in 2023 and 2024.

Is Revit Crashing or Dynamo? If Revit, is the model in good health? Are all resources for both Revit and Dynamo static and cashed to your machine preventing concurrent write issues? Are you running in automatic on a bulk update script? Likely best to provide a dataset and graph to test if youā€™re really at wits end.

Not a supported option much longer as 2025 comes out soon (about 5 months if history is any indication), so best to start those upgrades soon.