Revision Cloud one click

Sean (I hate to ask this because practice makes you a better Dynamo user) can you send me your working script and I can see if one of my nodes is busted

1 Like

Random question, but has that revision been “Issued”? Just trying to think why it wouldn’t work.

So here is my setup, which is working in Dynamo 2.3.0.8.

1. Packages and Versions:

2. I used the DataShapes extension to ‘Prefix’ each node with its package

3. Here is the graph that is working in Revit 2020.2
    Revision Tag Comment.dyn (29.6 KB)

3 Likes

OK back to the original now that it marinated. the following tool worked fine but now I am getting complaints. The biggest issue is that sometimes people need to cloud non elements like sheet notes. by using this method I can only put revisions around selected Revit elements.

1. first create your revision cloud. (by the shape and not by selecting elements)
  2. tag the cloud
  3. select the cloud and in the properties block type in your comments

I’m thinking a tool that creates a rectangle or a shape and then turns that shape into a revision cloud.

Thanks again for the help!

Isn’t that the exact process for making a native Revision cloud in Revit? Maybe I am missing something, but seems like it doesn’t require Dynamo.

I don’t really seen how you’ll save much time if any using Dynamo for that since it takes some time to open Player, find the graph, run it etc.

1 Like

yes and no
right now you go up to the cloud button push it then create your cloud.(hopefully your revision is already set or you then need to change it lol) then you go and hit the annotate button and tag it. after you tag it you then click the revision and under you properties type what the revision was in the comments.

I figured if you could handle all of it in 1 click people will be more likely to put in the comments. right now they just skip the last process because of time. (yes we can bring out the whip lol) but if it saves them time it is easier to track the revisions.

Oh we also use dyno browser so they are just tool bar buttons not graph

P.S. also we only put revisions in the sheet not in each viewport (whole other discussion)

1 Like

I am not sure I’m comfortable supporting this approach :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::cowboy_hat_face::scream:…

So really your looking to combine the 3 actions into 1 and prompt for the input, just without having to select something in the model?

We always say that the most important part of a new process is ease of use. You could be introducing a cool new automatic process that saves time and money all while reducing error, but if it isn’t easier than the default process you’re not going to have much luck implementing it. So I agree with you there. However, we also have people who want to automate minor tasks just because they’re too lazy to click 3 buttons and fill in a value. Automating laziness (not talking typical mundane and repetitive tasks here) is not a good long term solution.

With that being said… A lot of this task is already manual and can’t really be automated. Right now the manual process is:

1. Draw the cloud
  2. Select the appropriate revision
  3. Type in a comment
  4. Tag the cloud

The only way to really simplify and automate any of that is to combine the revision selection and comment portion into a user input and automatically tag the cloud. Even then, you still have to select the revision and type the comment. It’s just in a different location. Automating the tag is a bit of an efficiency increase, but only if you’re tagging your clouds individually to begin with (which is a bit slow). It would actually be faster to use Tag All after filling out all the revision clouds.

The point here is that a better, faster process doesn’t always have to mean Dynamo automation. Training your users (and getting them to not cut corners) is usually the best bet on these kinds of tasks. You also tend to have diminishing returns on such short processes.

2 Likes

LOL that is why I said it is another discussion (touchy topic here). and yes that is what I am looking for

I know but it is an owner request and even though I walked him through the process he still wants to try (he is an old school lisp programmer and knows dynamo is way more powerful than lisp.

so here we are lol

Yeah, that always seems to be the case unfortunately. Like I said, you can automate parts of the task, and combining steps is really the biggest improvement you’re going to get I think, but it probably won’t really be any quicker. Sometimes that doesn’t matter though. If you’re being pushed for automation, then maybe that’s enough.

1 Like