Railway packages

Hey,
Im mainly designing railways and Im looking for packages or other options to use them with dynamo. I need to place turnouts, crossovers and to take their parameters. Is there something available? I cant find anything by myself. Thanks!

I have developed a few tools in a consulting context via Python. Nothing I can share though.

You will want to be in the latest possible version for the most API exposure though. Even in 2023 we were somewhat limited by API gaps.

1 Like

An option could be to go the block reference route for your turnouts and build in other parameters in the blocks to extract with Dynamo. There are several packages and out of the box nodes for block reference functionality including placement by coordinate system.

Prior to the turnout and crossover tools in Civil 3D, it was common practice in the railway industry to create block references of different turnouts and crossover sizes. I still use blocks for turnouts today to ensure specific client turnout standard plans are used in the alignment design. Also just haven’t had the time to try and figure out how to create custom turnout sizes that aren’t in the catalog when we typically have the blocks already created.