Quick Dimension Question

Thans Einar, it works.
I wonder what is the difference in PythonScript from String and PythonScript itself?
Seemed that is where the error comes from.

Hello Einar,
I have tried to follow your solution here, but Iā€™m a little hamstrung by the fact I only have Revit 2016, however I wondering if another solution could be made from a different point of view. That being instead of retrospectively trying to fit dimensions to a grid, they could be fitted to the grid when the grid is created ?

Even better, have the construction of the Grid controlled in an Excel file where you have the set-out points defined.
Have a look at the solution posted here How to create Grid lines from an Excel file https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/how-to-create-grid-lines-from-an-excel-file-or-tabulated-survey-points

I can see the VB.NET code from http://revitapisearch.com/html/47b3977d-da93-e1a4-8bfa-f23a29e5c4c1.htm uses VB code to create a DIM dimension, but Iā€™m unsure how to incorporate that, or generate the correct code in Dynamo to create a dimension line. Perhaps the VB code can further streamlined given that the points are already defined. Any help is always appreciated.

The latest daily builds of dynamo have got some dimension nodes. Maybe they work for you

Iā€™m wondering if there is someone that can help or point me to a solution, Iā€™m not sure of what nodes Einar refers to, and Iā€™m continuing to blind guess as to how to proceed forward, I believe I have the latest version of Dynamo ie (1.1.0.2094)

But what I do have, is a set of (x,y,z) points in an Excel table, which generate Grid Lines,Create Grid Lines, the question is, what additional code or graph I can use to dimension the grid spacing at the same time as generating the grids ?

@RLietz, head to http://dynamobuilds.com/ and download the latest to get this powerful little gem.

1 Like

Thanks John, I almost have it, but still ā€œno cigarā€, see the attached files and maybe you or someone can suggest a successful close to the problem. The problem I currently have is, if I change the variables in the the excel file, it destroys the the dimension line in Revit, then when the dimensions are gone, the only way I can regenerate the dimensions, is by swapping the start point and end points around, but the the dimension is generated perpendicular to the reference line (see image below with zero dimension), and then the only way to regenerate a final dimension line is to swap back the starting and ending points.

This process of course is completely undesirable, and I need some further help please. (using Revit 2016, and Dynamo 1.1.1.2444)

Supporting files ; New Grids.rvt (1.2 MB)
Dimension-Grids.dyn (88.8 KB)

Test Grid_Dimension.xlsx (12.1 KB)

To change the Excel file, you only need to change the origin point cells, and the ā€œspacingā€ on the second sheet.

It is possible change grids to wall?
Thanks

Hello Michal,

In answer to your question, please refer to the end of my original post (How to create Grid lines from an Excel file)

But Iā€™m still stuck with trying to find a satisfactorily conclusion to dimensioning the grids if anyone can offer a solution.

Hello RLietz,
thank you for your advice - it is very helpful and I know something new. But I think, it is possible create dimension using line for wall. I donĀ“t need make dimension for grids but I need for wall. This is my issue.

All,

I downloaded the latest daily build am an still not seeing ā€˜Dimension.ByElementsā€™. What am I missing? I feel like the dimension nodes would be built in, as stated above, no?

Is this because I am using Revit 2015? I wouldnā€™t imagine that would be a limiting factor.

Thanks,

Hal

Hi There,
Iā€™m trying to use the Dimension detail line node. It works well however i have a really annoying problem.
To locate the dimensions it requires a detail line. Now for the BUT. Detail lines cannot be drawn outside an annotation crop so i cannot place the dimensions where i need to place them.
Iā€™m trying to figure out a work around. The crop region is tied to a scope box in turn the scope box controls the grid extension. The scope boxes are also in sync with the Architects so there is no getting around this at the moment iā€™m hitting a wall.
If i do i will let you know. If anyone else has used this node with a similar issue please share. Thanks

Problem solved. I was too hastyā€¦Itā€™s late for me.
The line can be placed into a working view. It doesnā€™t need to be on the sheet. It can also be a model line in a 3D view.
Once placed this can be inserted into the line input of the node referenced above.

Does anyone know what to place to quick dimension floor edges?

@john_pierson , I have been trying to use that Dimensions.ByElements node for dimensioning storefront/curtain wall systems. I continually get errors about not liking the reference Elements I am providing it with. I canā€™t find a tutorial online for how to properly use this node. Do you know of one? Does this node only work in floor plan?

@sblosser
Hello, your issue would deserve a new thread with a specific title leading to a specific solution. This thread is indeed already quite long and has been solved at post 8. Dimension.ByElements is an OOTB node, here is an illustration of it:

1 Like