Question about Building Parts

Hey Gavin. I am tasked with making a script for seperating buildings into parts / zones. Normally this could be done with LinkedFiles but we model our entire buildings in 1 revit file with the linked files coming from the constructor and the MEP.

To calculate costs more effectively we would like to make certain zones in 3D and then use Dynamo to set a parameter. I was wondering if you are familiar with such a process and if you happen to know if Revit already has such a parameter field. Otherwise I would be inclined to create such parameter but at the office we really refrain from doing so and it is quite frowned upon.

I think the odds of Gavin seeing this post are slim without tagging him :slight_smile:

@GavinCrump :slight_smile:

1 Like

Generally best to address the whole forum. For a workflow like this I’d suggest modelling the zones as 3d extrusions then intersection testing them with the centroid of bounding boxes of elements to see which one they are within.

I’d suggest making a shared parameter for this. If your company frowns on that, they need a good talking to.

1 Like

Hi,
Maybe this can help

Ifc can store the relations of Revit Elements to Zones (use FZKViewer)

Not what I am looking for. I think the best is to use scope boxes in this case. But it will suck for non-cuboids

Now that I am thinking about it, I could just combine them. Use a non cuboid Model in Place as the unit to apply dynamo on. Then manually set a scope box around the same shape to set the views to them