Possiblity of automate or update existing materials when new specifications list

Hi,

I was wondering if there would be a workaround (dynamo, api or other) about updating existing materials and their keynotes when the structure of the specifications changes.

Thanks

It’s more with the idea of there would be a (new) material (or more) that don’t have an assigned keynote or a wrong one. I was thinking to start creating an Excel file where a comparison between the old and new would be made. Using the existing master keynote list (in excel format) + all materials that the office uses. Bringing these two sheets together in a third sheet. Then having an additional sheet that would list all new or conflicting materials/Keynotes. And finally a sheet that would be the base for sending the corrections, info/data, back into Revit.

Would such concept work IRL?
Is it possible to automate the assigning of a keynote in the material identity tab ? (that should have been the title, I guess)

Yes - such a concept can work in real life.

1. Get the ‘firm standard’ material list from an excel file
  2. Get the ‘project materials’ from the active Revit document
  3. Remove any ‘project materials’ from the list which are in the ‘firm standard’ list.
  4. Write the remaining materials to the ‘firm standard’ excel file (as a new item or in a new sheet)
  5. Update parameter values in the ‘firm standard excel file’
  6. Round trip the parameter values back into the Revit document

Including a new material parameter for “Unique ID” would be recommended as mark can vary across projects (i.e. if you’re using wood 3 but not wood 1 or wood 2 you might want to change the mark for wood 3 to WD1 instead of WD3).

1 Like