Place Rebend Connection Family for Stair Landing / Platform

Hello Dynamo Friends :slight_smile:

I want to place these Rebend Connection families into walls like this:

What i have achieved so far is to place the family on a wall with dynamo, i learned that i have to use a face to place this family:

There is alot of work to do to get the right vectors, right lines, etc…but i can do that.

But what i have no idea about is how to get the faces of the walls that i need. The goal is to just select the Platform and dynamo will find the connecting walls. I think there are endless ways to do that so i just wanted to ask what the best solution would be so i dont go the wrong direction in the beginning.

Happy about any advice :smiley:

Hello,
Here is a solution (it’s not the best)
It can be improved via Python (A big chunk to swallow, for me)

edit:
Here is a second approach by projection

Cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Hello Christian, thanks for your reply.

Calculating geometry of thousands of walls is not a good start for me because it takes to long.

But i found this thread that looks like it´s what i need, will test in a few days.

Will post a runtime comparison after testing!

1 Like

Hello again,

So getting geometry of 2500 Walls takes 82 seconds, and my whole script should run in a few seconds, so i have to use another method. I´m having trouble with the python code for getting elements inside boundingbox, have to open a new thread for that.

Hello,
ok I see ,
It’s too computationally intensive.
(That being said, it looks like you’re having modeling issues on some walls)

Will try to explore another possibility.
I don’t see any that jump out at the moment.

Keep you up to date.

Cordially
christian.stan

Down to about 6 seconds now :slight_smile:

Get Walls inside BoundingBox (Python) - Revit - Dynamo (dynamobim.com)

Hey Christian,

So I´m now at 0,492 seconds with BoundingBoxIntersects Method :smiley:

Amazing, now i can start with getting faces, etc…

edit:

even a shorter version possible:

Edit:

Got the 3 desired faces by intersecting with vertical faces and filter by area:

1 Like

You should take a smaller scale factor in your bb enlargement (Wise remark from Mr. Jacob to avoid getting a wall with Expansion joint) :wink:
You still have to manage the exceptions (Staircase orthogonal but inclined)

Good work
Cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

I tried now about 10 ways to get my desired points for family placement and they are all not good an reliable. (but hey it already worked to place my 3 families in the 3 walls, woohoo :))

• Use bottom surface of platform to intersect with walls
  • Use platform to intersect with walls
  • Use platform surfaces and point at parameter
  • Use platform bottom curve

The problem is the platform doesn´t have a bottom curve made of 4 lines, it are more then 10 lines because there are always little modelling mistakes and problems with the stair cutout etc.

I think i should start with simplifying the platform geometry by just making a element.boundingbox out of it and then work with the boundingbox instead! And then some pull onto plane/surface stuff…
But its hard to make the points then corresponding to the right wall face…
More tomorrow…

1 Like

Hello,
I worked on this axis (the most distant points from the centroid are the points attached to your surfaces

I’ll let you follow this track I had a problem with the Genius Loci node (Must have a conflict somewhere)
to finish

I don’t know if too greedy in calculation time
05 aout forum anglais.dyn (47.8 KB)

Cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

So here is my actual workflow @christian.stan

[video-to-gif output image]

I´m at about 600 millisekonds for the whole thing :slight_smile:

The only problem i see, this method only works if the platform and walls are really touching each other and it will fail if there is a little space in the model. I would have to pull off some projection to the walls to make the method better…

Any thoughts about my method very much appreciated!

1 Like

As i was afraid of i had to make a whole new method because an intersecting of wall and platform faces was not reliable, i am now looking for the platform face that is parallel and nearest to a wall face.

Here is the workflow:

1 Like