Parking Generative Design

Greetings

I’ve recently posted a YouTube video that delves into the intricacies of automating parking layout design. This initial segment underscores the crucial aspects of scripting logic, paving the way for the second video.

I will illustrate how to employ this script for generative design, optimizing it to yield the maximum number of parking bays.
You’re invited to watch the video via this link: Computational Design SA - Generative Design - Episode 5 - YouTube

If you find the content useful, I would greatly appreciate your support in liking the video and subscribing to the channel.
Thank you!

6 Likes

Generative parking layouts are fun. :slight_smile:

I noticed you’d done a list reverse to put your points in the right order. Have you tested it on lines drawn in Revit in different directions?
Revit remembers which way round lines are drawn which can be really annoying :smiley:

I found converting my lines from Revit to a polyline in Dynamo and then working out which way the points go (sometimes they’re clockwise, other times they’re anti-clockwise) then making them always go anticlockwise was really helpful for lots of scripts.

Your parking perimeter - the bays here are too close in the corner -

If you offset your line the minimum distance you need to get into the space and see where that intersects with the other line, then use that point as a start you’ll have enough room to get into the spot (see sketch below)

Finally… I’d strongly suggest you tidy up your wires! They’re really chaotic and make the graph really hard to read!

Looking forward to part 4 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for the constructive comments. They definitely help me improve the script and presentation.

In the script, I use filled region faces to define the parking area because I noticed the perimeter curves of faces picked from Revit always run in the same direction, which is anti-clockwise. So the curve direction will be fine if Autodesk does not change this. It, however, is a risk. The list.reverse node is a remnant of a previous idea. I will remove it.

Regarding the parking perimeter bays, I have a parameter called “Parking Bay Concave Corner Spacing” that controls how far they are from each other at the corners. I will set the lowest parameter value to the minimum distance required in our regulations so those tight corners never happen. The video shows how I worked out the trigonometric relationships for the parameter to work at 58:10.

I agree the script is hard to read. I will rearrange it for the next video.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Ooo, nice to know! I never use faces :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll have a second webinar on the parking layout script next Monday at 7 pm South African time. You can use the link below to join in. View the previous session here: Parking Webinar 1
Thanks!!
Parking

1 Like

Here is the second part of the parking automation generative design series. Thanks!!

1 Like