Generative housing design

Hi All

I am hoping some of you may point me in the right direction on this topic,

I am looking to use vacant sites in Dublin and generate potential high, medium and low density housing developments on these sites using Dynamo

I have looked at a lot of research and the use of Autodesk refinery with this. It would be great if some of you could help me out with this one.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Start with generating building layouts. You would need to know the rough size and footprint of your buildings first. Let Refinery work out different layouts for high, medium, and low densities separately. This will allow you to compare solutions both within different densities and between them.

Hi Nick thank you for your comment. As this is a concept exercise would it be best to do 3 types of building layouts such as detached, semi detached and terraced.

That probably depends on how different the overall building footprint is between the options, but I’d likely say yes. Remember that Refinery is doing all the front end work for you. So you’re only giving yourself more options to compare. Which I’d say is a good thing.

Yes that’s true thanks Nick, I will develop the three types and let you know how I get on. Hopefully it will be a success.

Hi, but how do you deal with roads, footpaths, SUDs, junctions, green spaces?
How do you add these into the analysis?
Do you say, my building area includes 6% of external/council services?
Or do you use building face as a parameter?
Thx

Design the logic into the algorithm the same way you would for any other type of generative design problem.