Parameter not assigned to revit family categories

Hello, does anyone know a way to create a new parameter and to assign that to specific elements? Doing that manually in Revit, you will have to select a category or subcategory.

The same is with the note “Create Project Parameter” in Dynamo.

Thinking this way might make sense in Buildings but the second you have a project not in Buildings you will end with a lot of parameters that are not needed and a lot of chaos.

So I was thinking assigning Parameters to “Elementtypes”. Elementtype is a information that can come from a Parameter. Is this possible? Any ideas?

I would imagine the only option would be to add the parameter to the family and reload the family back into your model. I don’t believe there is a way to add a parameter to a single element within the project.

Thanks @staylor! That is how Revit thinks and I do not agree with that. If at some point in the project you have to add a new parameter, you will have to go into each family and add that parameter there. The families might also become not useful for other projects after doing that.

You don’t have to save (override) your ‘original’ Family. You can always ‘store’ the Famliy
in your project only or save it in a different folder / location specific for that project.

What do you mean by this?

In Infrastructure projects , half of the families will be from category “generic models”. Assigning Parameters for different trades to generic models will make the list of parameters huge. Then you will select one and have to figure out which parameters are for this given trade available and which should be ignored

Hi @bano35R3K why not create a family parameter shared or not…it can be done automatic even for families in project or a folder with families

What Revit version do you use?
In Revit 2022 there are now more categories for Loadable Families for infrastructure.

Though i think adding the Parameter to the Families IS the best approach.

1 Like

I see, all advices go to family parameters…
No dynamo genius solution? No API-Python? There has to be something…

If it can’t be done in Revit (without Dynamo) then it can’t be done with Dynamo.

I disagree