Out of date nodes after Dynamo upgrade

Hi… I tried learning Dynamo a year or two ago and did get some basic results, but my version of Dynamo was updated which resulted in nodes being “Deprecated” etc. so the graph I had painstakingly created no longer worked.
I found this very frustrating but at the same time I appreciated that the nodes were created by third parties who had no obligation to produce them.

So, after getting frustrated with some Revit limitations again I have ended up coming back to try Dynamo and very quickly encountered the same problem…

Can anyone advise exactly how you would go about finding an updated node when you get the “Deprecated” error message ?
It may be obvious to many of you but as a novice, it seems difficult to track these things down.

As a generic example, see the two attached screenshots…

Screenshot1 was created and worked fine.
Screenshot2 is what I get if I open in a newer version of Dynamo.

Thanks

Are you launching Dynamo for Revit both times, or is the later example from Dynamo Sandbox?

1 Like

In this instance, the first was launched from within Revit and the second was when the same graph was launched independently of Revit but the question I am really asking isn’t specific to this instance, it’s a general question of how to replace an out of date node, the simplest way ?

In this instance, the nodes cannot be replaced without opening the correct Dynamo version. To interact with Revit content, you have to open Dynamo for Revit. This will resolve the issue.

In other instances, downloading the packages, and carefully evaluating packages before upgrading will resolve the issue.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

I have previously updated Dynamo because a node I wanted was created in a newer version of Dynamo than I was using so updated without really considering there could be unforseen consequences.

So I guess there is no ideal solution because if I do want a node which requires a newer build of Dynamo, I run the risk of adversely affecting a previously constructed graph…?

Just like with Revit, if you update your stuff may behave differently. It’s on the individuals to plan and manage these updates accordingly.

So in the case of a node going ‘missing’, the OOTB nodes should update between versions, so as long as you’re in the right build of Dynamo (Sandbox vs for Revit vs for Advanced Steel vs for Alias, etc) you should be fine.

For custom nodes from packages, you ought to test them before pushing the upgrade. Some will migrate just fine, some will not. Only way to know is to check them. I used to do this by placing all nodes in a Dynamo X.Y.Z workspace (wire NOTHING), installing the new version (call it A), and then opening the 'all nodes graph in version X+A.Y+A.Z+A. Anything red would be easy to find as I could track it (Monocle makes this SOOOOO easy). Once you have it IDed, you can look into why it didn’t update. There may be a newer version of the package you need, so you can test that. It may be that the node doesn’t work in the new version and you’ll have to wait for something new (or not upgrade).

Sadly there is no way for you (or I, or anyone) to control the timeline of the package owners - if they chose to not update, or if they chose to stop publishing a specific node, there is little we can do beyond asking nicely and hoping. In the case of a package owner not publishing a version compatible with a newer build, or having removed their entire package, you can either try to reverse engineer the old version (sometimes this is VERY easy, other times not so much), update the node and do a save as, or move to a new package.

1 Like

Ok, Thanks for the explanations Jacob. I really want to be able to create my own nodes but that’s another level of difficulty it seems.

Thanks

1 Like

For yourself that shouldn’t be an issue. It’s management in the whole firm that is more difficult. That requires you not only manage the Dynamo version, but the correct version of each package in the office’s library. There are several topics around the options for this already on the forum, including using a shared network location and coping the correct version of packages to the C drive for all users automatically when another event occurs (launch Revit, log in, etc).

Those things aren’t an issue that I need to worry about at the moment. We are a small company and I’m the only Revit user. Also, effectively BIM Manager by default too.
I doubt if anyone else in the office has even heard of Dynamo.

In which case - go for it!