[New Feature Preview] Python 3 Support Issue Thread

Dear Dynamo Lovers,

Greetings from Dynamo Team. We hope you are doing well in this special situation.

Today I am writing to give you a preview of the upcoming Python 3 support we will add to Python workflows starting from Dynamo 2.7.x releases. We will keep you in loop with all these changes and hopefully get feedback when things do not make sense jump to your eyes. You will be able to try it out using our daily builds on dynamobuilds.com.

The new Python node engine lable on lower right corner of Python nodes

The new Python node engine switcher in node right click context menu

The new Python script editor and Python3 learning material in right side panel in progress

• Updated layout of controls in Python Editor
  • Added Icons and tooltips for controls in Python Editor
  • Added a Python Engine switcher for user to switch which version of Python Engine per node they would like to leverage
  • Added a button like control in Python3 learning material for user to report an issue here
  • Added minHeight and minWidth for Python Editor so controls can always be visible

The new Python Editor Learn More Button workflow in gif

We will also keep track of Python3 related issues in this thread and you will have an option to report Python3 related issue here directed by a button in Dynamo right side panel (see screen shot above). There is a known list of Python3 issues tracked on our Dynamo wiki.

Cheers,
Dynamo Team

51 Likes

What!?
So cool.
We were so limited in so many workflows with ironPython 2.7
Please tell me you will push this improvement in all flavors of dynamo core and dynamo4Revit @Aaron_Tang

3 Likes

It will probably get pushed to the core version then the revit team will integrate and push it out in a update. Though i doubt this would be pushed retrospectively to early versions.

3 Likes

Good to see that the dynamo team have found a version to work with dynamo without much visible changes after i indicated python 2 was going to be unsupported while i was at the uk dynamo hackathon last year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know. It was morelike a rethorical question :grinning:

Will this change how we access .net assemblies?

1 Like

Yes, it will be generic and available in DynamoCore and shared between different Dynamo flavors

2 Likes

This is so amazing!!! Are you guys also planing to add pandas any time soon?

2 Likes

Awesome :joy:

1 Like

top!

1 Like

A much expected implementation, thank you! Looking forward to trying it out as soon as it gets released!

1 Like

Awesome! But which Python version specific?
I guess it must be a Python.NET implementation? 3.5-3.8?

1 Like

For those of us only familiar with IronPython via Dynamo, is there any chance for differences (syntax changes, deprecations, etc.) that could cause problems between versions? How is that being handled?

1 Like

@Nick_Boyts yes there are some differences between Python 2.7 and Python 3.7, some are related to the way you open files for example, others are less important for a Dynamo workflow. The real issue is that there is no guarantee that the IronPython syntax will be the same for CPython (e.g. typed arrays, context managers for object implementing IDisposable, etc.). It will be a journey.

4 Likes

Pandas will not be shipped out of the box, but this work will allow you to actually use it!

3 Likes

It is covered partially by the learning material in Dynamo 2.7.x. We are also working on migration helper for users who will be in transition, but that maybe in future releases. @solamour Should be able to cover a much larger plan overall later.

2 Likes

Currently targeting 3.7 or later :slight_smile:

4 Likes

that’s another great news!!!

1 Like

There will be some syntactical changes between IronPython2 and CPython3 for sure. We are looking at mitigating as much as we can on our end and will be providing a migration assistant to help you migrate your code (Albeit it won’t cover everything that changes).

2 Likes