[Request for Feedback] Docking Python Editor

Dear Dynamo users or developers,

Do you still recall the poll I did a few month ago at [Poll] Ask for what you need on right side panel, our team are prototyping a few options in the list and would like to get feedback from the community. This post is about getting feedback of docking multiple python editors.

Here is a gif showing how a user could dock multiple python node editors into right panel so that user could switch between unlimited python nodes as long as they are in the current home workspace. This is still in beta and I am here to listen to whatever you think. If you have something you would like other than python editor to be docked, please leave your idea in the comments as well.

Cheers,
Dynamo Team

34 Likes

hi @Aaron_Tang,
Good day. The dockable python editor is amazing. I hope, in the future, we can customize themes just like other popular text editor. Cheers!

2 Likes

I really like this idea! The tabs look elegant, but I do find the Dock button a little clunky. Perhaps we could drag windows to dock them, like in Revit, Visual Studio, etc?

3 Likes

This would be great! One thing that I like about undocked windows is they persist between custom node/project attention. If the python windows persist when docked in the same way then I’m all for it.

3 Likes

I’m in for this.

Another thing I think you guys should work on is ways to display dates when Packages have been updated and the ability to download specific updates within dynamo instead of going through the dynamo package website.

2 Likes

This looks amazing!! Can’t wait to use this!!

I think the only other feature I would add to the wishlist is someway of seeing either ‘Favorited’ or “Recently Used”

It would be interesting if we could see some statistics pertaining to what nodes the user uses, and how often, also.

3 Likes

amazing, i like the this idea, will help very much
i would suggest to Dock a list of warnings or errors of the scripts, i could summarize the reasons easily for the big scripts

thanks dynamo team, keep going :+1:

1 Like

:point_up: This.

5 Likes

I heard you. Yes they persists.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on that? Do you think updating themes in Dynamo in general is needed or for specific part is more urgent like the python editor?

1 Like

I heard you. Are you saying the versioning of packages by the authors could be hard to figure out by the package manager so instead you would like to use dates as additional info to track and use updates? Because dates never lie :thinking:

1 Like

I heard you. I think I had this favorite nodes wish in my own list since the day I joined Dynamo Team :grinning:

3 Likes

Even without the Favorite Nodes feature, the right-click-quick-search is a godsent at least! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Love it… Agree on draggable docking comment above also.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this!

It helps us better in understand how Python-Dynamo works and a faster learning of its syntax with transparency and open sharing.

2 Likes

Indeed, I was thinking about docking the notifications which is located on the top of the menu. I always found some kind of docked warning after graph open would be neat. I did some quick turn around here. Let me know what you think.

4 Likes

Hi Welcome to the community. Thank you for the feedback. I’m glad it is useful to you.

Hey,

Thanks looks really good :slight_smile:

For me, the dream would be for the package author to state which versions of Revit and Dynamo the package is approved to run against… Then Dynamo to see what version of itself, the package and Revit were running and suggest available updates to the user on the sidebar :slight_smile: not fool proof admittedly.

Cheers,

Mark

1 Like

hmm, would be cool to host Monaco editor:

in the sidebar and redirect python edits there.

3 Likes