Dynamo Public Roadmap

Today we release a new version of the Dynamo Public Roadmap - hosted on our Github Wiki.

For the first time since our last release in late 2019, you can get some insight into what we are working on right now, our thoughts on future direction and where we see Dynamo evolving :raised_hands:

Come have a read at: https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/wiki/Dynamo-Public-Roadmap

If you have any feedback then feel free to reply here! We welcome any and all commentary. Also - the Dynamo Roadmap Logo was created entirely in Dynamo :nerd_face: which you can access here: PublicRoadmapLogo.dyn (88.4 KB)

32 Likes

Yay roadmap logo!

5 Likes

Great work Team Dynamo- this kind of transparency is rare in the Autodesk world.
Other development teams- please take note…!

I see that the lawyers have made you put in the disclaimer that it is not a guarantee of the future- this is fair enough (& possibly goes without saying for a roadmap…)

Andrew

6 Likes

Dear Dynamo-Team

Thanks a lot for the roadmap. Could you also give us some insight into the future of Ironpython 2.7.x in combination with dynamo given that the ironpython project is not really active anymore? Are you planning on supporting python 3 in the near future, maybe incombination with PythonNet for DotNet-integration?

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Hello @Ma_Ku,

We have just updated to IronPython 2.7.9 in the latest release (Dynamo 2.4) and as you’ve noted this is where it stops currently as IronPython 2.X is discontinued and IronPython 3.0 isn’t ready yet.

We’re currently exploring the best way to support Python 3 inside of Dynamo - looking at retention of the current system and augmenting with a new node to expose Python 3 and are considering all available options, inclusive of PythonNet.

9 Likes

FWIW, maps can be fun to animate.

:slight_smile:

16 Likes

Share? :grinning:

Whipped it up for a webinar and figured it was a ‘do this once and never look back’ thing, so needless to say it’s an illegible mess. I’ll try to clean it up tomorrow night and will post whatever I have then.

1 Like

Sol, I’m really excited for python 3 in dynamo. Thanks so much for your amazing work!!

Shaun

1 Like

Glad to hear it @WrightEngineering! We have active work going on right now - that you can keep an eye on in our Github repository if you are curious:

UX work being done here: https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/pull/10607
And the side-branch: https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/tree/DSCPython3

2 Likes

A new release of the Dynamo Public Roadmap is now here - please read above in the original post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Roadmap looks good, especially the ‘easier’ part. I’m sure there will be improvements made to the naming of nodes, inputs and outputs. The words and syntax need to be more consistent. It’s the seemingly small things that throw most of us noobs into a state of confusion. Here are some examples…
Does Geometry have an upper case G or lower case g? Should I worry?
I was trying to plug an output with ‘faces’ into a ‘face’ input…it actually wanted a ‘surface’. Same node wants ‘location’. No, it wants a ‘Point’.
Could a ‘Patch’ just be ‘PolyCurves’? Is a ‘Rectangle’ a ‘Patch’? What about ‘ClosedCurves’?
Hope you can see that I’m trying to be constructive since I appreciate just how hard you and your small team work. Thanks!

2 Likes

Great job!
Can really see the potential of using CPython libraries inside Dynamo. Dumb question: how that works?
I have my Python 3.8 running on the machine with libraries already installed. How can I access those libraries? is that even possibile or there is a different way we need to install libraries?
I am not super proficient in managing Python but I would like to explore numpy and pandas potentials within Dynamo…
Cheers!

2 Likes

Totally @jay.polding! We’re looking to do a full pass on these smaller misalignments and inaccuracies over time :slight_smile: The intention is to totally hone these rough edges and make consistent the entire experience, with particular focus on the nodal one.

Hello @Cesare_Caoduro3 - We’re going to be creating a blog post that will showcase exactly how to take an external library and bring it into Dynamo :slight_smile:

3 Likes