Multiple Feature Lines to Pipe Network based on obvert

Hey Guru’s. I’ve hit a road block creating a dynamo routine that converts multiple feature lines into a pipe network for a give surface, with the ultimate goal of adding these to profiles to thread the needle of a grav sewer. I’ve used feature line as the survey has given us depths from surface so I was able to quickly generate a top of obvert feature line with the intention of creating pipe network from object.

I’ve been able to generate a desired pipe family / size from a feature line using dynamo however it uses the given geometry as the centreline, whereas I need to be able use the feature line geometry as the outside top (obvert) of the pipe network. As I am a new user I cannot attach files to assist but any guidance would be great!

Hi @Overcooked_75,

Is it as simple as just dropping the feature line down a distance of (wall thickness) + (diameter / 2) to get it to the centerline first?

Thanks for responding. This did occur to me. However as this will be for a variety of different pipe sizes / conduits I was hoping Dynamo could just toggle the pipe family and size then run a couple of dozen at a time. Sounds like I might have to learn python to get obvert geometry!

I don’t think you’ll need to go that deep for this. Let’s break it down.

You said you have survey data that you used to generate the feature line. What does that look like? Perhaps you can skip the step of generating the feature line, assuming you don’t actually need it for anything else other than to assist with generating the pipes. For example, if you have COGO points with the depth to top of pipe in the description, then you can use those to create Dynamo lines (not AutoCAD lines) and build the pipes from there. Or if the data is in Excel/CSV, then you don’t even need COGO points. Just read the data in straight from there.