Moving Revit Geometry along existing Geometry

Hi everyone,

Just a quick one hopefully…
I have a Revit family as seen below:

I’m trying to move one of the front 4 connectors that you see in the image, along the face that they are attached to. This is all one family with the connector geometry being “Shared” within the main family. This allows me to select the connector geometry independently of the whole family, but when I try and move it, it moves the entire family, not just the connector.
I just wanted to know if this is a lot more complicated then I think it is or whether I am missing something.
As a quick test I used the below nodes + the translate node to move the point and then try and use Element.SetLocation to move the connector, but as mentioned the entire family moved.

Can this be done?
Thanks!

Hi @mitchellpUDG9S ,

Is this object one family? If so you’ll have to make those edits to the Revit Family / Family Type instead of the Family Instance. This could be done through Dynamo.

Approach this topic first without Dynamo in mind, how would you do this without Dynamo?

3 Likes

Hi @Daan ,

Thanks for the response.

Yes I would do this in the family environment…And it is one family. I think I knew the answer but I was just hoping that there was potentially a way for this to be done from the project environment. The end goal would be to have users be able to place connectors on the face in any position, so ideally we don’t want everyone opening and closing families.

If it’s just one family I don’t think you could simply move an item without the other ones moving, that’s simply not how Revit works.

Maybe you could create two families, one of the connectors as a host-based family.

1 Like

Editing the family in the family environment would be required, and would mean you could shift stuff but only once as each instance would have to have the same location.

As an alternative, consider using instance parameters to constrain the location of the nested family, which can then be adjusted as you would any other family.

1 Like

Thanks Jacob!
The bigger picture is a little more intricate, we are also trying to find a way to e able to place the connectors on any of the 6 faces on the part and then move them into place accordingly, which is why the instance parameters wont work. I have thought about trying to do that, but I think there will be far too many parameters as well as a loss of associations.
I will figure something out, just wanted to check if I could bypass a step or two :slight_smile:
Thanks for the feedback!

One more thought: Drive said parameters automatically via intersection of temporary elements drawn by the user.

Sounds interesting… Although I’m not sure what you mean by temporary elements drawn by the user?

Have them place a face based point family where they want the connector to shift to. Or draw a line and figure out where it intersects the geometry and use that point to control the shift.

You only need 2 parameters per connector (U and V), and those values can be measured quite quickly using a vector from the “no shift” point.

1 Like

Ahh okay I see, thanks Jacob, I will give that a go and see what I can come up with!

1 Like