Set geometry location by coordinates

Hello,

Does anyone know how the position of Revit geometry (generic model or entourage) might be set by coordinates from Dyanmo? We are looking to have an element track position along a line using a number slider that drives the location of a point.

Thanks

Hi @PlymouthRick

Are you trying to move existing element to new position or place new element?

Hi Kulkul,

The former. We want to control the location of a component through Dynamo to demonstrate design possibilities, it ought therefore to be iterative. If we imagine the point in the GIF below as the X/Y location for the gen.mod./ entourage, we want to have a component hosted to that point so t hat it will move in the Revit model environment

The Family.InstanceByPoint node should do the trick. To translate a Dynamo XYZ point into Revit XYZ coordinates you would have to convert the coordinate system, the simple way being to use the :snowflake:_Convert Dynamo XYZ to Revit Coordinate XYZ node from the Sastrugi package. :grinning:

Hi @Ewan_Opie

Thank you. That was very useful. The Instancebypoint node is exactly what I needed, however the re-scale tool does not work. Do you know what is wrong?

thanks

@PlymouthRick See if this works for you.

moveFamily.dyn (14.8 KB)

Hi Vikram,

Just curious- a bit new to Dynamo… will it not work if I connect the point from Curve.PointAtParameter directly to the FamilyInstance.ByPoint node like the image below:?

Sorry, I would have normally tried this on my pc to see if it will work but I don’t have it right now… :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: and I’m afraid I will forget to try it when I finally get my pc back…

@archjahzzy you are correct, feeding the Curve.PointAtParameter node to the FamilyInstance.ByPoint node does work. :+1:

@PlymouthRick I cannot replicate the error you are getting with Null values, what version of Dynamo are you using? Transforming the point locations should only be necessary if your project has a rotated/relocated Project Base Point.

It will.
For clarity (in the example) I isolated the family creation nodes from the nodes that move the family instance.