Modular spaces distribution with set of constraints!

Hi All,
I’m new to dynamo/refinery and I was wondering if there is a way of creating a batch of analysis using dynamo & refinery?
I have a defined building outline and I want to distribute modular spaces (8mx3m) with a maximum 4 linked modules having circulation at both end (2m wide).
I want to be able to have a maximum modules while respecting the given constraint.
Any idea?
Ta

Not sure I understand your desire, but it sounds doable. This may help expose some of the concepts: Space Planning With Project Refinery (6/7/2019) - YouTube

2 Likes

Is the graph for this available @jacob.small?

I have posted it here before - hard to find as it’s in a reply to a topic I can never find, and I have quite a few replies to posts here. I am working on a detailed dissection of it, perhaps for a webinar since there seems to be some desire for this. A few of my AU classes propose a detailed breakdown in the stuff which worked, didn’t work, and other bits I learned along the way.

1 Like

Thank you everyone, here is a starting point:

The idea is to maximize the use of space, more modules and efficient walking spaces (circulation).
Thx

Ah! I get it now. This is the same concept as the desk office problem. The key is to define the angle of the module, and then offset it as needed to make the parts fit. You do have some added complexity in the grids sliding by each other that I don’t have a sample I can share with, but I think I can provide a sample to start with later today. Be sure to do the entirety of the Dynamo Primer as you’ll need a string grasp of those concepts.

@jacob.small Smashing, much appreciated.
Thank you

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This graph populates an open office layout within the extents of a given room in Revit (this has already been added to the Remember node, so you can just open this in Refinery). The correlation to what you’re up to, is that there is a series of elements distributed between an aisle. In this example I leveraged only a single element on either side of the aisle, but you could adjust the spacing as needed to fit more rows between the elements.

OpenOfficeLayout JWS Edit.dyn (367.7 KB)

It’s also possible to use a paneling optimization, though I don’t have an example of that which I can share handy - closest I could whip up between meetings today is below though. Perhaps I’ll have something ready to share after the coming Generative Design Residency being hosted in Toronto - bit tied up until then though. The sample videos do have a fairly well defined example of that which you could rebuild on your own - likely that’d be more valuable to you as you’d have a more intimate understanding of the logic used by reviewing it as you went along, so when it comes time to leverage how you lay out your work it’ll be much easier. You’d likely want to first divide the layouts to into the spaces between the walkways as a first step though.

Module Creation.dyn (14.4 KB)

Awesome, I shall check it, mush appreciated.
Thx

I realize this is a few years down the road, but that video is EXACTLY what I am trying to figure out how to do! I just wish there was a step by step tutorial of how to create the graph for that space layout study;>
If there is such a thing out there, I would be game!
Thanks for listing the video here…new to Dynamo and excited about its usefulness as a new tool.

Yep, I’m interested in the graph for that as well @jacob.small. Any direction on where I can find it or similar? Good to look at examples that are close to what you want to do to give you an idea of direction. I will post on the main page as well to ask at large.

Not sure I have that anymore, and a bit old at this point (a 4+ year old workflow now). Given the chance I’d take a different direction with it anyway to reduce speed and make data management a LOT easier.

However as is not last, as a demonstration build of this is on my radar, when Generative Design becomes a topic in the community conversation series. We are currently planning stuff for… FormIt, Alias, and Structural applications first though. Those toolsets are a must for users in those industries who want to do Generative, so it’s sort of a foundation of sorts.

Until then you can:

• Check out the generative design category of the forum for great examples and solutions.
  • Master building, manipulating, and displaying geometry in Dynamo.
  • Learn the limits of Dynamo Sandbox instead of whatever integration you may be using (ie: Dynamo for Revit) as you won’t have access to those integration tools in a generative workflow.
  • Study and work through the Generative Design primer to learn how this can be done well.
  • Sign up and get involved with the Refinery beta to learn more about the tool and interact with the development team.
  • Work out how to best ‘record’ data back into your application of choice (Revit, Civil 3D, Alias, Advance Steel, etc.) the type of design content you’re looking to generate.
  • Practice using dictionaries instead of lists to facilitate management of data (and learn to build custom design script definitions to ‘re-serialize’ said data into dictionaries as you go along!).
  • Check out the previously produced community conversations to learn more about Dynamo in general.
  • Review some great AU sessions from the prior years (including a session I helped produce which was based on this very workflow)

No promises, but if I remember and find the time to prior to the community conversation, I’ll post an updated graph or a video where I go over building such a graph to a new topic on the forum.