Location views

hi everyone,

im trying to get the location of the views. so that i can copy them in the active model.

does anyone know how to react to this? any other category u can get the location but how about views?

View Elements don’t have a location, the have an outline (The CropView) and a origin.

I made a script in the past which gets the outline which returns the Outlines of the Cropviews on there location in Dynamo. From there you can get the locations you want I think.

I think it takes more than this to recreate the views from a linked model in the current model. Interesting topic tbh.

Let me know if this was helpful or if you have any other questions
GetViewOutlines.dyn (17.5 KB)

1 Like

hi joel

thank you for your effort. ive tryied your way but im gettin a rectangle as geometry but im tring to get an location. that way by using set.location i can try to copy that view/section from a linkedmodel to the current model. im having hard time getting the location of this view.

my python knowlegd is limited :frowning:

So I understand what you are trying to do. You want to recreate the views (because you cannot just copy them) in the current project. Unfortunately, every kind of view (Section, Elevation, Plan view) is made in a different way in Revit.

The ones you can create using OOTB Dynamo:

• Floor plan (Requires a Level, Not a Location)
  • Structural plan (Requeres a Level)
  • Section (Requires a BoundingBox)

So you need different things from your linked views in order to recreate them in the current project. I am afraid that you’ll need some python for that, or specific Custom nodes.

The Set by step process would be:

1. Get the views from the linked model you want to recreate.
  2. Determine what kind of view it is (Section or plan view)
  3. Get the right information per kind of view (Level for plans and a Boudingbox for Sections)
  4. Do some post processing (Match the scales, add view templates)

I created a quick graph which follows the suggested strategy in my last reply.

1. Get the views from the linked model you want to recreate.
  2. Determine what kind of view it is (Section or plan view)
  3. Get the right information per kind of view (Level for plans and a Boudingbox for Sections)
  4. Do some post processing (Match the scales, add view templates)

Sorry in advance, I used a little Python in the beginning. The hardest part is getting the post processing right.

I hope it helps a little
RecreateViewsFromLinkedModelMKII.dyn (125.4 KB)

hi joel

again thank you for your effort to help me. ive used your script but the problem remains that the location of the new placed view not the right one is. al the pre-defind views are being copied right but the location is not the same.

its very frustrating that this keeps happening…how can i manipulate the location of the view?

Quick question:
Are the Survey points and Base points of both models the same?
Have the Survey points or Base points been unclipped and moved?

Dynamo reads the position of the Bounding boxes in the Linked model coordinate system. If the coordinate systems are not aligned Dynamo places the sections on the wrong place.