Lack of recognition of elements after modification of family's detail level

Hello, Dynamo mates.

As the title says, I am currently in a trouble with getting elements in dynamo.

Now, I have two files. One of them is a rfa file which has a bracket model comprised by 13 plates in total and a rvt file which contains a former file to make a cross section drawing sheet.

For a personal reason, I have to change detail level setting of 3 plates of the bracket, unchecking medium and checking fine.

Then, I opened the rvt file, reload the family data and tried to obtain all of the plates (solid) in dynamo using “Element.Geometry” node.

However, the outputs were only 10 plates and 3 plates I modified its detail level were missing even though I succeeded to get all of the plates in the output’s list before the modification.

Does anyone know the relationship between elements in dynamo and its detail level?

Can you show the collection method in a graph, just to check gor correctness?

In Revit, the detail level is a property that affects the visibility and graphical representation of elements in different views. Changing the detail level of an element can impact how it appears in views. In Dynamo, when you use the “All Element of Family” node, it may not capture elements that are not visible in the current view due to their detail level settings.

To address your issue, consider the following steps:

1. Ensure Visibility in View: Confirm that the detail level change did not make the modified plates invisible in the current view. You might want to check the visibility settings of the view you are working in.

2. Use Different Nodes: Instead of relying solely on the “All Element of Family” node, you can try other nodes or combinations of nodes to retrieve the elements. For example, you can use the “All Elements of Category” node with the category corresponding to your plates.

3. Filter Elements: Apply additional filters to narrow down the elements you’re retrieving. Dynamo provides various filtering nodes that allow you to refine your selection based on different criteria.

4. View Specific Detail Level: Ensure that your Dynamo graph is set to work with the correct detail level. You can specify the detail level in Dynamo to match the one you’ve set in Revit.

5. Coordinate Systems: Check if the modified plates have changed their position or coordinates. Sometimes, issues with retrieving elements can be related to their position or orientation in the model.

By exploring these aspects, you may be able to identify the reason why the modified plates are not being captured in your Dynamo script.

I believe that Object.Geometry utilizes the medium setting. Likely that this was somewhat intentional as it prevents people from overloading their model with screws that are present in stuff like furniture families, while ensuring enough detail was passed for stuff like clash detection.

Likely your best bet will be to utilize Python to see what you can pull out.

Hello, @pyXam. Thanks for your reply.
It was careless of me to forgot putting references. Here’s the screenshots which shows the problem I’m facing.

Lastly, I use Revit 2021 for my personal reason and don’t want to change it. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks @jamesvince1286 !!
That’s basic things that I should know before asking everyone for this matter. I apology for that.

It is vastly helpful and useful knowledge. I have been still struggling with the detail level setting but I’m sure it’ll take short time to solve this problem.

Especially, I think No.4 you mentioned got to the point. I know how to set DetailLevel of Revit Views from Dynamo. Could you teach me how to specify the detail level in Dynamo?

Element.Solids will pull just solid geometry, skipping the curves for you. :slight_smile:

I appreciate that you @jacob.small suggest me to use Python to solve this problem.

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/lack-of-recognition-of-elements-after-modification-of-familys-detail-level/96659/5?u=csys17014
As I wrote my personal want above, I would like to extract only solid by using “Element.Geometry” function by using python.

I’m interested in using Python to streamline making process and expand dynamo functionality.

Sounds like a good goal. I recommend checking this out: Take Dynamo Further 🚀 - Dynamo Python Primer

1 Like

How careless I am. Thanks for your remarks.