Issues rotating family instances in random intervals

Evening,

First post! :slight_smile:

I am working on a project in Revit where some elements will be wooden poles or ‘sticks’ for lack of a better word. I’m having some success modifying the radius parameter values at random but I cannot seem to get the instances to rotate at their origin points, around the Z axis. I am continually receiving this error:

“Warning: No function called SetRotation on a Revit.Elements.AdaptiveComponent that takes __array,double could be found” for the rotation parameter.

What might be causing this and what would be the best way to randomize the rotation of each instance, regarless of its orientation (i.e. if its not vertical or horizontal)?

Here is the image of where I am getting stuck and of the model objects. I’m using generic adaptive models for the family so that I can place the component easily in the massing environment. There was a python script posted here but no luck figuring out how to make it work.

Any ideas or help are most appreciated, cheers.

Hi,
you try to rotate a adaptiv component. But you can’t.
You could edit the adaptiv family an create a “rotation parameter”.
Its simple, first place a adaptiv point. Then control the rotation of this point and place your geometry on the plane of the adaptiv point.
After that you can set the rotation with dynamo.

I was having an issue setting up the geometry on the point last night but this morning it was fine for whatever the reason. I remade the geometry because the original was not moving with the point rotation.This was exactly what I was aiming for!

Thank you so much.